Names on Uniforms

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
Personal opinion - not a fan of names. HATED it when the Yankees put it on their uniforms for player weekend past two years. I've never asked the players their opinion, but I like the thought of playing for the name on the front of the jersey vs. the name on the back.

For older girls - I understand the value of having the graduation year for scouting / showcase purposes. I guess if we ever reach that point, we'd probably just get one "showcase-only" jersey with the name included?

Jul 14, 2018
Thanks for the replies everyone, I guess there really is no consensus. I feel like the attitude towards names is what Gags said: you play for the name on the front not on the back. I get that, it just seems impractical.

I also hate the Yankees, so anything that smells Yankee-like causes me to recoil in disgust :LOL:

May 27, 2013
Our org does not do names, either. Most camps we’ve been to hand out a number that gets pinned in the jersey.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Thanks for the replies everyone, I guess there really is no consensus. I feel like the attitude towards names is what Gags said: you play for the name on the front not on the back. I get that, it just seems impractical.

I also hate the Yankees, so anything that smells Yankee-like causes me to recoil in disgust :LOL:

Well I guess that my affinity for MLB teams that do not have names on at least 1 set of uniforms will be causing you some indigestion. For me it just seems classy to have only the number. Names with first letter abbreviation and last name, or last name and Jr., and especially long last names themselves just look crowded and as though adding the name was an afterthought. They even have to reduce the font size in some cases which makes them not so "uniform".

Jul 4, 2013
Don't let the uniform get you too excited. My kid has never had her name on the back until now--starting 16u. Same girls, same team, same commitment. When she tried on the new jersey, it was pretty much the same as every other time we've had a new jersey--"cool" and onto the next thing. She loves her organization. It's been good to her/us. But she competes because she loves it and for her teammates. I think names on the front or the back mean more to us on the sidelines than it does to the girls. She's worrying about the game while we have time to think about such things. If its useful at a camp, then great.

Nov 11, 2019
I agree that numbers only is classier. Our org has name and numbers and I’m ok with it but would prefer numbers only.

Jul 29, 2012
NC
Our organization has a special Jersey that has the last name on the back on the Grad year on the sleeve that is just for use at camps. It is also a different color that you don’t see often so it stands out (It’s a classy color).

Our regular Jerseys just have the regular number on the back with no names.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Our organization has a special Jersey that has the last name on the back on the Grad year on the sleeve that is just for use at camps. It is also a different color that you don’t see often so it stands out (It’s a classy color).

Our regular Jerseys just have the regular number on the back with no names.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That sounds like a great idea.

I have seen teams with names and without names. I personally like the look of a jersey without it. I asked one team that had names on jerseys about theirs because the name was below the number. They did it that way because most of the players' hair would cover it up at the top. I did thnk that was a good idea.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Ours have names (though to be honest if we took them off in the middle of the night I don’t think they’d notice).

I do use it (when I coached) whenever we travel, especially out of area, in a behavior reminder speech – the jersey has three identifiers on it – the team name on the front, your family name on the back, and your number...make sure you represent all three with respect.