Name or Number?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I think I know the answer to this but I'll ask it anyway because I want to be sure.

ASA 14U tournament; first inning, leadoff batter gets on with a bunt. But it looks like the wrong batter lead off. We bring it to the umps attention, it turns out that the lineup card had 1st and 2nd hitter's numbers transposed, the right batter lead off, the name is correct. Ump calls batter out which I think is wrong, I think it's name over number in these cases.

But from here it gets confusing. He puts the leadoff batter back up and tells us to record an out for the no 2 hitter. When the lineup turns over it ends up with the leadoff hitter having been up 3 times (1 ruled illegal) before the no 2 hitter gets an at bat.

May 29, 2015
It seems counterintuitive, but name takes precedence. You would think it would be number since nobody knows who these kids are ... but I suppose a kid can change jersey numbers much easier than they can change her/his name.

So what should have happened? Well, nothing — the hitter was correct and legal.

But, let assume they did accidentally bat the #2 hitter first. If it was noticed while she was at bat, the correct hitter assumes the count and you continue.

EDIT: Comp is correct below — I had a complete brain fart and just screwed your game up. 🙂 I’m deleting my incorrect post so somebody doesn’t read it and remember it. Just remember I was wrong and I should have looked it up before posting.🙂

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
No, the batter who should have batted is declared out, the improper batter's at bat is negated and the runner removed from base and the correct batter is brought to bat. In this case #1 should have batted, is out on the batting out of order and #2 comes back to bat as they are the proper batter now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
Whoops — my brain is fried from 3 days of rain delays and a billion umpire schedule changes ... Comp is correct and I deleted my comments to avoid confusing somebody.

Jun 12, 2015
Whenever this has happened to us, we've been told name takes priority over number and the batter isn't out. I don't know if that's officially right, but that's what they always say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802