Name on the jersey

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Should a new uniform have name and number or just the number?

• Name and number

• Number only

Results are only viewable after voting.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
My DD being a catcher, she prefers her pants a little larger than a little smaller. The majority of her team HATES white pants.
I'll never understand why any softball coach below the college level would ever think white softball pants are a good idea. Heck the parents hate them even more than the girls do. I came the conclusion a while back that white softball pants are a sick joke that causes the devil to laugh hysterically.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
Baseball players wear white pants all the time and I can't recall ever seeing their underwear. Are softball pants just too thin for some reason?

Do girls not typically wear sliding shorts? I've had a hard time getting some of ours to wear them (even though we provide them), but I figured 99% of serious players wore them all the time.
Softball pants are typically tighter than baseball pants from what Ive seen. Plus the biggest issue is if a girl were to have an "unplanned situation", it just causes quite the embarrassment for a girl thats already hormonal to begin with. They are just a bad idea all around.

Sep 3, 2015
My DD has never played on a team with names on the back, and right now at the highest level 18U I would say 9/10 teams don’t have names either.

I don’t see what the big deal is, for recruiting there are player sheets and emails are sent with name and number. Also, presumably the coaches are there to let the college coaches know who they are looking at if they want to know.

Seems like a parent thing, not a player thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 19, 2021
DD1's org does not have names on the jersey. DD2's org does. Both send players to Power 5 schools, but far more so the former org.

The names help me most as a parent to figure out who is who during the first month we are on a team. After that I never notice and could care less. The poll needs a "dont care" option.

Jan 3, 2022
Some organizations/coaches do it for player safety. 14U up should have name , number and grad year so coaches can identify players more easily at tournaments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 31, 2019
When they play in HS and college chances are they won’t get their name on the back of their jersey.
DD’s club teams had them on the back but many 16-18U do not.
Every coach I asked about it says “you play for the name on the front of the jersey not the name on the back” as a reason for not doing it.
I agree with that but would change the phrase to:

“you play for the name on the front of the jersey, but the college coaches remember the name on the back”

Jul 31, 2019
This may have been covered, but one school of thought is that for the younger kids, the parents agreed not to put names in the back to protect the kids from petafiles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22