My Kids a Star

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2008
Colorado
Hey Head Coach of the Canon City USA PATRIOTS here, I want to know what coaches are doing with a similar problem that I'm having. I have a pitcher that is 12 that is pretty good. Her parents are always feeling her head with, shes the best, she is the only reason that we are winning, ect........ They have it in her head that a scout could be out there watching her at any minute. Now granted she is the best pitcher I have, but she is hitable and does have plenty of mistakes on her record. This girl has the potential to be an outstanding pitcher, but I'm afraid her parents attitudes are going to ruin her. I could bench her, we would go out there with my secondary pitcher and might win but she is learning, therefore adding fuel to her parents thoughts. What should I do?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Is it affecting the rest of the players? Is this just something going on between the player and her parents?

If the problem for the 'team' is an issue, have a talk with the parents but NOT with the player. They can give her false hopes and say whatever they want to, as long as it is not within earshot of any other players and having a negative effect on them.

If the player is repeating what they say to the rest of the team, there will surely be some resentment. If there is, the rest of the team probably realizes that all that manure is coming from the parents.

If it is not an issue with the rest of the team, you are the only one having a problem with it.

Jul 5, 2008
Colorado
Thanks

Hey first of all Thanks for the Reply, and 2nd yes the parents are saying negative things about other players on the team and stating that their daughter is the only reason we are winning, Thought about sending her out there by herself and seeing if she wins against 9 lol. Anyway she is letting what her parents tell her affect her attitude towards the rest of the players.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
It's highly unlikely that anything you do or say is going to have any effect except to turn their attention onto you.

Play like a surgeon and cut out the cancer before it spreads.

They are obviously not happy so, show them the road and let them be unhappy on someone elses team.

Hal

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
My Kid the Star

As a parent of a pitcher, I think that most parents view their kids as special or as having lots of potential. I know that I do.

Where we live, coaches never talk to the parents (rec league). Their decisions are NOT to be questioned. While that is, for the most part, fine with me....
it would be nice to understand some decisions.
It is more frustrating to be completly left out than it is to have an honest discussion.

Kind of hard to bench a kid who probably isn't at fault....if her parents are the ones setting up the attitude.
If I were you I would have a chat with them. Let them know that their daughter has good points/potential...but also let them know what she needs to work on and that attitude is part of the equation to be successful.

Jul 27, 2008
Tell the parents the young lady has out grown your team and needs to find a team which can offer her more. Yes it reinforces their belief but it also gets them out of your hair. And when she does find a team loaded with studs they will have some perspective.

I agree with 5PG about coach's decision. It seems like so many coaches are to gutless for a face to face talk w/ parents so they don't play a kid hoping she will take the hint. Thats the coward's way out. Luckily so far this hasn't happened to my kid but I have seen it with plenty others.

Jun 20, 2008
No matter how well a pitcher does or is, parents must learn to praise effort and hard work instead of ability, and no matter how well the pitcher is doing, there is always atleast one other player that is helping her even if the pitcher is throwing perfect game after perfect game, and that is the catcher. Parents like that give all pitchers parents a bad name...and are not at all helping there DD become a better team player, and if the team doesn't like her because of her attitude they are less likely to give extra effort to make plays when they need to....

Jun 2, 2008
I very much like War Eagle's response. Bottom line though is let her go. It will not get better. Once you do, watch how your number 2 and 3 grow into the number 1 and 2 spot. Even more importantly, watch how much the rest of the team supports your other pitchers and you team as a whole, will get better. Hense, the whole purpose of this exercise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802