My DD lost her 4 seam spin after a bike crash

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
I am not sure I understand this desire for a 12-6 fastball rotation when everyone I know says fastballs get crushed at higher levels. It sounds like a freak accident has given her fastball movement.

No, incorrect. 12/6 rotation is essential. Keeping 12/6 rotation but maintaining it as a "fastball" with no movement is stupid and will get crushed. If the goal was to have a straight pitch with zero movement, then I'd agree with you... the rotation is not relevant. But for the life of me, I will never understand why so many people seem to advocate this. It's beyond insanity. And to the first person who responds by saying "my DD's "fastball" has a drop to it".... then she's throwing a drop, not a fastball and you need to know the difference. One is a good pitch, one will get her into trouble as she's older.

May 12, 2016
Yes she did, a lot stiffer at the wrist since she had to brake the fall with that hand. Talking to her PT on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you have your answer.. think about it, it's the only factor that has changed since the accident. She's obviously favoring other muscles to grip and pitch the ball resulting in a different spin. Not disagreeing with what others are saying.. but in your DD's case it can all be linked back to the accident. Hopefully with some rest and PT she will be able to grip the ball again like before and return to her former self.. unless she keeps pitching < 100% and picks up some bad habits.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Not necessarily, a fastball is your fastest pitch, spin is secondary. Many drops are slower than a fastball. If you throw a change up with 12-6 spin it's not a drop.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
....everyone I know says fastballs get crushed at higher levels. It sounds like a freak accident has given her fastball movement.

Damn, wish one of those folks you know would have given this advice to my DD. Her fastball limited her to 2015 NJCAA pitcher of the year, a 2015 national championship, National Tournament MVP, NFCA All American, and then 2 years as a starter in the SEC, and then a summer of pro ball. Too bad nobody clued her in about the fastball so she could have succeeded at the higher levels. Oh well, live and learn.

Jun 19, 2016
Damn, wish one of those folks you know would have given this advice to my DD. Her fastball limited her to 2015 NJCAA pitcher of the year, a 2015 national championship, National Tournament MVP, NFCA All American, and then 2 years as a starter in the SEC, and then a summer of pro ball. Too bad nobody clued her in about the fastball so she could have succeeded at the higher levels. Oh well, live and learn.
That is just what they tell me. My kid is 12 and has a dominating fastball and people tell me that she is going to get blown up all the time. I was more interested in storing conversation about the 12/6 spin....which my DD doesn't make unless it is a drop ball.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
That is just what they tell me. My kid is 12 and has a dominating fastball and people tell me that she is going to get blown up all the time. I was more interested in storing conversation about the 12/6 spin....which my DD doesn't make unless it is a drop ball.
If you DD's fastball moves, it is a good pitch. If she can make it move left or right it is a great pitch. The myth that a FB gets crushed is based on the multitude of kids who throw a bulletspin FB that does not move. Any pitch that moves, and you can put in a tea cup is a legit pitch. If she learns to to throw a proper FB using IR it will move. If she learns to throw it with her fingers outside the ball it will move the opposite direction. So what you are left with is a pitch the you can command and move down and in or down and out with the exact same motion. Would love for someone to explain how that cannot possibly lead to success.

Aug 21, 2008
Not necessarily, a fastball is your fastest pitch, spin is secondary. Many drops are slower than a fastball. If you throw a change up with 12-6 spin it's not a drop.

sorry, then something is wrong if that's the case. There should not be a difference in speed if the mechanics are the same. If the pitcher is doing one of those crazy peel drops like pulling her hand back and up at release (incorrectly thinking that will give more spin) then I could see the pitch being slower. But thrown correctly there should not be a difference in speed, it's all about release point. Again, this is assuming the mechanics are sound, the spin is correct, and the ball is released at the right release point.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812