Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2020
!EMERGENCY!

My DD is in her 2nd year of college softball and her team is going to Florida for a tournament in exactly 7 days. My DD is super pumped for this but sadly on 2/15/2020 aka 2 days ago she hurt her ankle in practice. Her ankle is swollen and has a bit of a bruise. She says it doesn’t hurt too bad to walk on but I’m still worried. I wouldn’t be as worried about the ankle if my DD was a power hitter and never really needed to run fast However she isn’t and worst of all she specializes in speed. My DD is a lefty slap hitter and relies a lot on outrunning throws and stealing bases. I’m afraid this ankle will cause her to run slower and make her get benched which would be a shame because my DD has been excited about this trip for weeks. Here are my questions. How long will it take a slightly swollen and bruised ankle to heal? Also my DD runs around a 2.9 20 yard dash so if her ankle didn’t heal in time how much would it slow her down by? I’m worried her ankle will make her run like a 3.5 and get her benched but am I just being irrational? How much will she really slow down by will it just stay 2.9, or slow to 3.1, or maybe even cause her to run as slow as 3.5? Also she’s the teams center fielder so this ankle is a big problem.

Feb 13, 2020
Google says it could heal anywhere from a few days to 2 weeks all the way to a month... I’m just more confused

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
She's not hiding the injury from her coaches and athletic trainers, is she? I hope not. What does the trainer say? Is she getting any treatment? As much as it would disappoint her to sit during the Florida trip to let it heal, it would be far worse to play on it and injury it more, jeopardizing the whole season. Running in a straight line is one thing, but rounding bases, cutting in the field, starting/stopping, etc. are another.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
!EMERGENCY!

My DD is in her 2nd year of college softball and her team is going to Florida for a tournament in exactly 7 days. My DD is super pumped for this but sadly on 2/15/2020 aka 2 days ago she hurt her ankle in practice. Her ankle is swollen and has a bit of a bruise. She says it doesn’t hurt too bad to walk on but I’m still worried. I wouldn’t be as worried about the ankle if my DD was a power hitter and never really needed to run fast However she isn’t and worst of all she specializes in speed. My DD is a lefty slap hitter and relies a lot on outrunning throws and stealing bases. I’m afraid this ankle will cause her to run slower and make her get benched which would be a shame because my DD has been excited about this trip for weeks. Here are my questions. How long will it take a slightly swollen and bruised ankle to heal? Also my DD runs around a 2.9 20 yard dash so if her ankle didn’t heal in time how much would it slow her down by? I’m worried her ankle will make her run like a 3.5 and get her benched but am I just being irrational? How much will she really slow down by will it just stay 2.9, or slow to 3.1, or maybe even cause her to run as slow as 3.5? Also she’s the teams center fielder so this ankle is a big problem.
Really depends on the severity and type of sprain. DD had a high ankle sprain her freshman year in HS with no internal damage or tears and it took 6 months to get close to being normal. She was released by the doctors to play after about a week because she couldn't do any damage but even the doctor said it comes down to how much pain you can manage. Not trying to make you worry more but DD broke her other ankle the next year, last Feb 13th, requiring surgery and a plate and was back playing in in a couple of months, May 3rd, and full speed by the first of June.

If it isn't a bad sprain ice and tape could get her ready in a couple of days if she can handle the discomfort.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
!EMERGENCY!

I will add the speed part will come down to how long she misses more than anything. It takes time to rebuild the muscles. That was DD's biggest challenge. We are a year out from surgery now and she is faster than she has ever been so I would bet a minor sprain will not impact her at all.

Jun 6, 2018
High ankle and no way she should push it for that short of a window as it will only make it worse. If low sprain, if she is a good healer it is definitely possible. I start by asking to research any hyper barric chamber treatment options in the area. If so it is a highly used technology by the best athletes from jerry rice to terrell owens to kobe and lebron. That with anti-inflammatory and eventual walking on it can easily make it a 3-5 day recovery time. Good luck, but if high ankle do not even attempt to push it that quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101