My DD going to a college camp - Am I crazy or what?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Question a mother wanted me to post here. Please answer what you think.

"Am I crazy? My dd has been corresponding with a school for almost a year. They saw her play at a showcase and reached out to her initially She's gone to their camps and feedback is always very positive. She is going to their camp this week and all of a sudden another girl on her team announces she is going too She had no interest in the school and wouldn't have even looked into them if they weren't already talking to my dd. Is it wrong for me to be annoyed by this?"

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Even if this kid goes she will probably be one of 30-80 kids hoping to get the coach's attention. Keep things in perspective. Would you feel better if another kid you didn't know opted to not attend. Your DD may do better having a familiar face around.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Annoyed? No way! I would encourage the entire team to go to the camp. Remember the school is interested in your DD and probably 10 others at this camp. They might have reached out to that player also, you really don't know. I tell anyone who asks what camps I'm taking my DD to within my organization. I take others with me if their parents can't make the trip. I'm also in it for the building of the organization and not just my DD so my reaction might be different than a typical parent.

Jun 12, 2015
Why be annoyed? She'll probably have more fun with a familiar face, assuming they get along.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I don't think my DD would be annoyed, but that said, she doesn't necessarily love going to camps with teammates, not when it's about getting recruited. It's not because of the competition. She just wants to meet and get to know players from other teams and do her own thing. It's like a business trip for her. She has an agenda. Having a teammate there sometimes means you pair up and isolate from everybody else. She'd have fun with them, but they also can be a distraction.

Sep 28, 2015
Good points all around. But I do feel when it's about recruiting it changes a bit. When they were younger and going to camps more to grow as a player/team I always encouraged everyone to go but at this age I think everyone should target what schools work best for them. It almost feels like your friend all of a sudden going for the same job interview out of nowhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It almost feels like your friend all of a sudden going for the same job interview out of nowhere.

I understand the job interview part of it, and that's what I meant when I said my DD usually wants to go alone. Not to prevent competition per se, but to market herself the way she wants to be marketed. For example, she signed up for a camp last summer and found 3-4 of her teammates also signed up. That's fine, but then at the end, they all want to go meet the head coach together, I guess to deal w/ nerves. Well, DD wants to meet the coach 1-on-1, not as a group saying, 'Hey, we're all here from the Force Elite Gold!' She wants to stand out, not be lumped with a group of girls that are having a great time together.

As far as the competition, I can see that as a parent, although I don't think DD has analyzed it that way. But for example, her best softball friend is a girl on another team. As recruits, they are very similar - same year in school, same/similar position, very similar skill set, attitude, personality. She even refers to the other as 'twin.' So it's probably better that they don't have the same 3 favorite schools.

Feb 3, 2011
"Am I crazy? My dd has been corresponding with a school for almost a year. They saw her play at a showcase and reached out to her initially She's gone to their camps and feedback is always very positive. She is going to their camp this week and all of a sudden another girl on her team announces she is going too She had no interest in the school and wouldn't have even looked into them if they weren't already talking to my dd. Is it wrong for me to be annoyed by this?"
I'm not quite so presumptuous to tell you that you're "wrong" to feel that way, but it's my opinion that it's unhealthy for you to be annoyed. If DD is annoyed, encourage her not to be. I think it's a generally bad idea to allow pettiness to dictate thinking and decision-making.

Sep 28, 2015
Yea - in my dd case. We have been very open on her recruiting process with a certain school and what other camps she is going too. (I've even passed on info on the other camps). The mom of the one friend lied and said they signed up last minute to the school camp they knew my dd was heavily targeting but we found out that was a lie. I guess I wouldn't mind if they were honest about it. It all just felt very sneaky. I guess we will change our way and not talk about recruiting anymore with them and if they show up the same camp or target the same school that's ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28