My DD’s swing.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

PJR

Oct 3, 2016
I’m just missing something. I finally got her hands above the ball and elbows stationary creating a triangle. But, around contact and follow thru something isn’t right. Any help on technique issues and correction techniques would be wonderful. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get the RVP app and download some NPF hitters. The app lets you put your daughter side by side. Study elite hitters and model after them. IMO Front elbow is to bent, right hand needs to stay under bat at and threw extension, no wrist turnover. Look at Alisa Gohler, Samatha Marder, Alisa Haber and Andrea Duran. Other will tell you front elbow bent(looks like this is what you have done)she will lose power. IMO this is a misunderstanding of the power V. Also check out efastball.com and read section on hitting myths. Arm bar good or bad section. It has some great photos. I don’t want to argue philosophies so those that disagree I understand. Just download the app and Study elite hitters baseball and softball and do some research. Everyone needs to come to their own conclusion.

Nov 8, 2018
Get the RVP app and download some NPF hitters. The app lets you put your daughter side by side. Study elite hitters and model after them. IMO Front elbow is to bent, right hand needs to stay under bat at and threw extension, no wrist turnover. Look at Alisa Gohler, Samatha Marder, Alisa Haber and Andrea Duran. Other will tell you front elbow bent(looks like this is what you have done)she will lose power. IMO this is a misunderstanding of the power V. Also check out efastball.com and read section on hitting myths. Arm bar good or bad section. It has some great photos. I don’t want to argue philosophies so those that disagree I understand. Just download the app and Study elite hitters baseball and softball and do some research. Everyone needs to come to their own conclusion.

More recent at a lesson.

Nov 8, 2018

What a great read. Explains it all pretty simply.

Jul 29, 2013
What you have been describing is not what the high level sequence is. It’s fine for whatever local level you play. But it’s not what the best do. Josh D has since retracted what he stated awhile back on mlb network. I would rethink your position.
Getting on plane with the pitch isn't what high level players do? Since when?
Please post a link to JD'S retraction. Gotta see this!

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Getting on plane with the pitch isn't what high level players do? Since when?
Please post a link to JD'S retraction. Gotta see this!

Does JD want the knob up? I think he lets it happen automatically. He wants to stay on plane with his front hand. Like I have been telling you. Plane the hands not the barrel.
Did you notice he says you do ‘damage out front’. A bit different message from what he said a few years ago correct?

May 12, 2016
Personally I don't think "Get Knob Up" to be a good cue. It can lead to a lot of frustration and confusion for a hitter. Perform high tee drills and advise a hitter to "get the knob up".... not fun. For my DD, it has been a big help advising her and performing drills that practice keeping her hands above the ball. In some cases the knob will obviously get up, lower the pitch, the more steep the angle (knob gets up more). Her approach now is to stay on top of the ball... that doesn't mean chopping down on the ball. This approach gets her on plane deep in the zone and long through. Get the barrel behind the ball early and stay through it. "Get the Knob Up" can result in dumping the barrel, and it can be a hard habit to break.

This guys has helped us out a lot.. like Atonelli, he explains things clearly. They are short lessons, but there's always something to take away from a short clip. If you don't have Instagram it's worth getting just for this guy

Also Billy club tool(or whatever the heck it's called) helped my DD understand how the barrel pivots around the hands, wrists, forearms etc. Start with ball on tee at shoulder height, keep shoulders level, learn how to get behind the ball deep in the zone. When moving the ball to lower locations, learn how to tilt shoulders to get to that pitch location.. still same motion as high tee, except body supports barrel getting to that ball, not just hands (get Knob up). Of course live swing will not be an exact replica, but that's ok, you don't want to eliminate all the athleticism from a swing. But this will help your DD keep her hands above the ball, allowing the barrel to get on plane early and stay through long

May 12, 2016

Does JD want the knob up? I think he lets it happen automatically. He wants to stay on plane with his front hand. Like I have been telling you. Plane the hands not the barrel.
Did you notice he says you do ‘damage out front’. A bit different message from what he said a few years ago correct?

He did say you do damage out front, but that's not his approach or intent. He believes in getting on plane early and staying through the ball. I am not disagreeing with you, but just wanted to reiterate what his approach is. He definitely said most damage is done just off that front foot.. but he doesn't try to hit the ball in that zone.. makes him too vulnerable. He's most certainly against getting the knob up(dumping the barrel).. get only plane early

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802