My DD’s swing.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
Are we having an honest discussion or are we driving an agenda?

You keep showing release points of swings. That part is automatic. How about what your advocating against which is ‘swing down’. Bet 1-2 frames before contact the barrel is above the hands out of plane.

Which is not knob ‘up’. That would be knob down. As in swing ‘down’. Correct?

High pitch

Low pitch

Do you think this is a dishonest discussion?
The frames I'm showing are at or near contact. I don't think this is a released position. Especially when the back arm is still bent and the elbow is at the rib cage.
Yes, in frames before contact the barrel is above the hands. But the movement of turning the barrel involves getting the barrel to rotate around the hands on the axis of the forearm. Since the barrel is above the hands to start it will be above the hands during a portion of the swing. It will go down, but it should go down to get onto the plane of the pitch and then move (upward) along the path of the pitch.
The earlier the bat gets onto the pitch plane, the longer it will stay in the contact zone.
Starting with the bat lowered to the waist isn't a bad idea as far as getting it on plane and I promote it as a basic movement. Elevating the barrel above the hands is just winding the bat further from the contact zone in order to get a running start. The barrel starts farther away from the ball. Try starting with the barrel of the bat tipped toward the pitcher (knob pointed at the feet of the catcher) then rotate it down and under the hands and see how your bat speed jumps.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The gif of Alonsos a great example of how strong and good these guys are. That is by know means an ideal swing. That is not his intentional swing. He did not get all of that one. When facing MLB pitching these guys can get in all kinds of weird and less than optimal positions. We need gifs from tee swings, front toss and BP to see what they are doing in an optimal situation. You could take Mike Trout gifs that show him one legged and others that show him two legged. Different pitches cause different swings.

Please post a Trout swing where he is 1 legged. I haven’t seen one yet.

As far as less optimal positions. I agree with you. But that less than optimal position is only because of the balanced position they are in at foot down. They are not favoring either leg when going into swing launch. Which makes their swing ‘adjustable’.

I was merely showing Alonso swinging down on a low pitch.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Do you think this is a dishonest discussion?
The frames I'm showing are at or near contact. I don't think this is a released position. Especially when the back arm is still bent and the elbow is at the rib cage.

When do you think release is? Its not when the barrel passes the hands? Or when the barrel drops below the hands?The rear elbow extending is extension not release. Correct?

Yes, in frames before contact the barrel is above the hands. But the movement of turning the barrel involves getting the barrel to rotate around the hands on the axis of the forearm. Since the barrel is above the hands to start it will be above the hands during a portion of the swing. It will go down, but it should go down to get onto the plane of the pitch and then move (upward) along the path of the pitch.

The barrel is above the hands for more than 80% of the swing. I thought TTB was deep and behind? That would put the barrel even or below the hands for way more than 10-15% of the time right?

The earlier the bat gets onto the pitch plane, the longer it will stay in the contact zone.

It’s the earlier the HANDS get on plane. Notice when that happens... that portion is for allooonngg time.

Starting with the bat lowered to the waist isn't a bad idea as far as getting it on plane and I promote it as a basic movement.

Never heard of anyone promoting this. No adjustablity. No loading of the barrel. Bad idea.

Elevating the barrel above the hands is just winding the bat further from the contact zone in order to get a running start. The barrel starts farther away from the ball. Try starting with the barrel of the bat tipped toward the pitcher (knob pointed at the feet of the catcher) then rotate it down and under the hands and see how your bat speed jumps.

This ^^^^ is exactly why you don’t plane early... How would the barrel speed up when it’s out of plane like this?

Jul 29, 2013
To get on plane early. The barrel must move below the hands.
The hands get to the shoulder plane and the shoulders get on the pitch plane.
I had a girl who flat couldn't hit. Told her to point the bat at the catcher's mitt and go straight to the ball..... result? Stand up triple! TRY IT!

Nov 8, 2018
I had a girl who flat couldn't hit. Told her to point the bat at the catcher's mitt and go straight to the ball..... result? Stand up triple! TRY IT!

Point the bat at the catcher and swing? Arms straight? I do t follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

What you have been describing is not what the high level sequence is. It’s fine for whatever local level you play. But it’s not what the best do. Josh D has since retracted what he stated awhile back on mlb network. I would rethink your position.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I3PYs5A.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802