My DD’s swing.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Hands pull back during the stride forward...but her hands are coming back due to counter-rotation of the shoulders, not because she's pulling back into the scap. Scap retraction is an important piece of the puzzle. We see the shoulders turning, but not the hips. For me, I like to see both turn back about the same during the stride (look up "forward by coil"). We also need to be aware that young hitters tend to turn back excessively when working on a tee because they can still see the ball just fine. Against a pitcher, they can't get away with turning that far. Try to replicate what they will be doing on the field. I usually ask them too look up as if they are looking at a pitcher.

Once her heel drops, everything starts to push forward - hands, hip, torso. A big piece of the puzzle is learning to pull with the muscles of the back. Look at video of elite hitters and pay attention to how they are using their back. I also recommend you look into learning about the hand pivot point and how to turn the barrel around a tight HPP to launch the barrel out from the rear shoulder. What we don't want is an arm swing around the spine, which is what we are seeing here.

You talked about her elbows, and "stationary triangle", but she's missing the turn. For her, the base of the triangle stays facing the the floor. This sets up her downward chop through contact. What we want to see is the base of the triangle turning up (towards the pitcher), with the hands being the pivot point for the triangle turn (HPP). The front elbow working up allows the barrel to work in a better path.

I've been posting these a lot recently, and I think they can both help with your DD...

Hand pivot point and barrel turn

Diagonal swing plane (notice how the front elbow works up, and how that relates to the swing plane)

Reactions: JJU
Nov 8, 2018
This is the video discussed it's really good at explaining it.

Overall just needs to build from the ground up still seems kinda handsy not fully engaging lower body and the swing plane is downward.

Antonelli explains it well. I watched last night and agree she has to get on plane earlier and the left elbow has to rise as the right elbow and body dips. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2018
Hands pull back during the stride forward...but her hands are coming back due to counter-rotation of the shoulders, not because she's pulling back into the scap. Scap retraction is an important piece of the puzzle. We see the shoulders turning, but not the hips. For me, I like to see both turn back about the same during the stride (look up "forward by coil"). We also need to be aware that young hitters tend to turn back excessively when working on a tee because they can still see the ball just fine. Against a pitcher, they can't get away with turning that far. Try to replicate what they will be doing on the field. I usually ask them too look up as if they are looking at a pitcher.

Once her heel drops, everything starts to push forward - hands, hip, torso. A big piece of the puzzle is learning to pull with the muscles of the back. Look at video of elite hitters and pay attention to how they are using their back. I also recommend you look into learning about the hand pivot point and how to turn the barrel around a tight HPP to launch the barrel out from the rear shoulder. What we don't want is an arm swing around the spine, which is what we are seeing here.

You talked about her elbows, and "stationary triangle", but she's missing the turn. For her, the base of the triangle stays facing the the floor. This sets up her downward chop through contact. What we want to see is the base of the triangle turning up (towards the pitcher), with the hands being the pivot point for the triangle turn (HPP). The front elbow working up allows the barrel to work in a better path.

I've been posting these a lot recently, and I think they can both help with your DD...

Hand pivot point and barrel turn

Diagonal swing plane (notice how the front elbow works up, and how that relates to the swing plane)

Yes saw the exact vid last night. And I agree. Will be working all points as directed. You all are great.

Jul 29, 2013
The tee is too far out front. At least get it inside of her front foot but preferably move it deeper to behind her front knee on pitches down the middle of the plate.
She stops her rotation and extends her hands to the ball. To get a better rotation, see if you can get her to understand that she needs to push against her front leg and drive her front hip rearward toward the backstop/catcher.
The barrel is above her hands and her front elbow doesn't elevate so she's swinging down to the ball.
Work on getting the barrel to swing under the hands like Alyssa DiCarlo. The knob will point at the ceiling. The first 3 seconds of the video is a good drill and the rest shows the implementation.
Screenshot_2019-10-10-22-48-19.pngScreenshot_2019-10-10-22-48-39.pngScreenshot_2019-10-10-22-48-55.png

Nov 8, 2018
The tee is too far out front. At least get it inside of her front foot but preferably move it deeper to behind her front knee on pitches down the middle of the plate.
She stops her rotation and extends her hands to the ball. To get a better rotation, see if you can get her to understand that she needs to push against her front leg and drive her front hip rearward toward the backstop/catcher.
The barrel is above her hands and her front elbow doesn't elevate so she's swinging down to the ball.
Work on getting the barrel to swing under the hands like Alyssa DiCarlo. The knob will point at the ceiling. The first 3 seconds of the video is a good drill and the rest shows the implementation.
View attachment 15329View attachment 15330View attachment 15331

Makes Sense why she is teaching for the ball. Tee out in front too far. Also based on other post I know she needs to turn the barrel better. Knob up is New though. Thanks

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Makes Sense why she is teaching for the ball. Tee out in front too far. Also based on other post I know she needs to turn the barrel better. Knob up is New though. Thanks

DrRiello, I would focus on gaining fyb ground while the core is being stretched against it... Your daughter gains ground but the core never really gets engaged.. Notice Bustos doesn't need the big arm movements that Antonelli shows to create early bat speed.

29jkLE0.gif

9g62ozt.gif

A properly engaged core should allow the hands to be pulled through the zone and not pushed. Bonds allows his barrel to be un-tipped as the result of getting into a fyb hitting position vs creating big arm actions. Do you notice knob up on any of these swings ?

6Q6WJ31.gif

TYGThGS.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I’m just missing something. I finally got her hands above the ball and elbows stationary creating a triangle. But, around contact and follow thru something isn’t right. Any help on technique issues and correction techniques would be wonderful. Thanks in advance.

The hands sliding forward short circuits the contact position and finish. That is what your seeing at contact.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
To piggy back on usage of the core.. if the core is being stretched and leverage it must gain ground to do so. Your dds core is back until swing launch so in turn the only thing being leveraged is the front leg. Notice where the rotational point of the swing is.

Most of what your looking for is in the load process of the swing. I would start there. Fixating on the hands/barrel will not cure this. The hands portion of the swing is effected and dictated by the position of the body and it’s balance and leverage. There’s no way around that. Doesn’t matter where your rotational point is. If you rotate around the front leg, you will push, if you rotate around the rear leg you will cast. You want to rotate around the middle.

In simplistic terms, your dd has a ‘reach’ with her stride foot. Which in turn makes her post up around it to rotate. We want to rotate around the spine.

Notice the bb gain ground before the stride goes. Compare to your dd. Start here imo.

Last edited:
I never hear this emphasized on dfp but I stress the drive off the back foot driving the back hip straight at the pitcher. Yes you need hip hinge to get great push towards pitcher. If you push the hips forward from ground force and turn the barrel everything else falls into place. As long as you don’t stride to far and get over front foot. Core should stay inside the feet front foot should be driving front hip backwards this creates all the stretch a body can handel. Turn the barrel bring the bat to the ball.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478