My DD’s swing.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
I’m just missing something. I finally got her hands above the ball and elbows stationary creating a triangle. But, around contact and follow thru something isn’t right. Any help on technique issues and correction techniques would be wonderful. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 16, 2013
Personally, the biggest thing that stands out to me (wrong) is a flat but downward swing plane, like she's chopping the ball. I don't think this is full on DBSF (Drop Bat Swing Flat), but it's not turning the barrel. I think that's what you could be seeing that doesn't feel right. This is what I'd call, "Old school, hands to the ball".

I think she's got a good footing on the bottom end. It's not 100%, but if it were my DD, I'd be working on bat path before anything else.

Nov 8, 2018
Personally, the biggest thing that stands out to me (wrong) is a flat but downward swing plane, like she's chopping the ball. I don't think this is full on DBSF (Drop Bat Swing Flat), but it's not turning the barrel. I think that's what you could be seeing that doesn't feel right. This is what I'd call, "Old school, hands to the ball".

I think she's got a good footing on the bottom end. It's not 100%, but if it were my DD, I'd be working on bat path before anything else.

Suggested drills or corrections?

Apr 16, 2013
Suggested drills or corrections?

I've never been a fan of drills unless the instructee fully understands what the drill is supposed to do. I think the best thing you can do is understand what "Turn the Barrel", or TTB around here, means. I don't know how long you've been around here and if you get TTB. Basically though, you're turning the bat to meet the plane of the ball (or most standard plane), keeping it on that plane for a longer period of time vs chopping and only meeting the ball at one specific intersection, like an "x". There's been lots of talk about TTB around here though, so if more agree that's the issue, then go with it. I'm sure many will give you a good post to look at, or a solid explanation.

From there, show her this video and compare it to a target batter's video. Point out the differences. Video will be, by far, your best tool. It's obvious you understand the basics of using it, by your post.

Oct 2, 2017
Lots of excellent coaches and advice on this site but the problem is they’re not all reading off the same sheet of music and it can be confusing.
Work on one part of the swing at a time but be aware how others parts of the swing are dependent on each other.
Post lots of swings. Good luck.

I don't think its that they are reading from different sheet music. This place has helped my DD improve her swing dramatically by the advice here. I think every one in the hitting section agree about the major components of the swing. Coil of the rear hip, separation, getting to the Launch position, what the bat path looks like etc. They may disagree with the technicalities in how those actions are performed, but for the most part its pretty straight forward.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
That swing will produce a lot of ground ball. Not good. Long tee. Front shoulder down hill and as she rotates front shoulder go up as rear shoulder goes under the axis. She needs to hit line drives consistantly.

Nov 8, 2018
YouTube (turn the barrel) I like Antonelli but watch them all and learn body positions necessary for bat to turn so bat path can be achieved

Leohonman. Good to see you on this side of the game. Ha I’m more proficient at the pitching tech. Batting is newer. I did last night look at Antonelli and a few others. I thought I understood it till I really studied the movement. After review I see where she is going wrong. Will fix, try to, and repost. Thanks.

Sep 29, 2014
This is the video discussed it's really good at explaining it.

Overall just needs to build from the ground up still seems kinda handsy not fully engaging lower body and the swing plane is downward.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2