My DD’s swing.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
DrRiello, I would focus on gaining fyb ground while the core is being stretched against it... Your daughter gains ground but the core never really gets engaged.. Notice Bustos doesn't need the big arm movements that Antonelli shows to create early bat speed.

29jkLE0.gif

9g62ozt.gif

A properly engaged core should allow the hands to be pulled through the zone and not pushed. Bonds allows his barrel to be un-tipped as the result of getting into a fyb hitting position vs creating big arm actions. Do you notice knob up on any of these swings ?

6Q6WJ31.gif

TYGThGS.gif
"Knob up" promotes getting the bat to rotate under the hands and changes the swing plane. See the video of DiCarlo's swing for reference. BTW all those swings are high pitches. Bonds actually hitting oppo? Rare video!

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
"Knob up" promotes getting the bat to rotate under the hands and changes the swing plane. BTW all those swings are high pitches. Bonds actually hitting oppo? Rare video!

Bobby, do you think by focusing on getting the knob up could impede hitters from getting on plane to cover the whole zone ? There's a reason in baseball that strikeouts are through the roof.

I don't see any of these guys trying to get the knob up.

2hoQ5IE.gif

DPMWGjY.gif

I390asg.gif

May 9, 2019
I'm late to the party so maybe this has already been said.
What I see is her left elbow is chicken winging it. I usually tell my DD to think of working the left elbow up to the chin through contact, but in your DD's case, it looks like the elbow is already up through the entire swing.
Also try to have her stay back on the swing. Not keep the weight back, but have her keep her upper body back a bit, and explode on contact. From what I can see, she is leaking forward so there isn't that explosion that should be there.

Jul 29, 2013
Bobby, do you think by focusing on getting the knob up could impede hitters from getting on plane to cover the whole zone ? There's a reason in baseball that strikeouts are through the roof.

2hoQ5IE.gif

DPMWGjY.gif

I390asg.gif
I'm not commenting on all swings or the strikeout rate in MLB.
My comment is to the original post and his daughter's swing. She swings down to the ball and a good way to teach getting the bat to rotate around and beneath the hands and get her on a better swing path is to have her let the knob point up which gets the barrel below her hands.
See DiCarlo's swing and these too.
Screenshot_2019-10-15-08-28-07.pngScreenshot_2019-09-20-00-38-12.pngScreenshot_2019-09-28-10-05-56.pngScreenshot_2019-09-19-21-30-34.pngScreenshot_2019-08-03-09-07-57.pngScreenshot_2019-08-03-08-38-50.png

Jul 29, 2013

2hoQ5IE.gif

DPMWGjY.gif

I390asg.gif
If you post real game swings of the 3 guys you posted cut ups from, I'll show you that they get the knob pointed up too. Maybe even if you post the entire gif of the 1st and 3rd they're doing it.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
If you post real game swings of the 3 guys you posted cut ups from, I'll show you that they get the knob pointed up too. Maybe even if you post the entire gif of the 1st and 3rd they're doing it.

None of those guys are focused on getting the knob up.. They are whipping the barrel down (not chopping down around the ball) from a leveraged position..

6Q6WJ31.gif

29jkLE0.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
If the goal is to get behind so one can swing up why not just start the axe (bat) flat from the waist ?

XdCjJZh.gif

Jul 29, 2013
None of those guys are focused on getting the knob up.. They are whipping the barrel down (not chopping down around the ball) from a leveraged position..

6Q6WJ31.gif

29jkLE0.gif
Answer this....if the barrel is below the hands, where is the knob pointed?Screenshot_2019-10-15-09-20-29.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee