My 9 yo has now mastered 4 pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2017
I just watched a FB post of a 9yo with 4 or 5 pitches.... LOL
coach said curve... fast ball outside.
screw... inside fast ball
drop... low pitch

I need glasses now from the massive eye rolls that have caused me strained vision.

That might be the same thing I saw.

Jun 24, 2011
I came to the thread expecting delusions of grandeur, I leave laughing out loud. Well played, good sir!

Feb 21, 2017
Bolded is taking pitch charting to a whole other level :cool:

Ironically I actually did chart pitches. I did so for HS baseball team so naturally (to me) when DD was learning SB pitching I went to local SB college games and did some charting. I generally found that throwing about 80-90% to the glove yields about 64-68% strikes. Naturally better hitters lay off some of the tough pitches and there are pitches thrown to set up others or just a 0-2 waist a ball and see if the batter bites.

It kind of dictated how we practiced so we started with 2-3 years of just fastballs. Master a pitch and then add a pitch and repeat. So we add one pitch at a time taking about 16-24 months to master.

We had several years of:

Other parent: “Oh, your daughter pitches, mine too. Mine has 5 pitches. How many does your have?”

Me: “1” or “2”

CoC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 14, 2018
Proud parent moment: We recently went out to dinner with another family whose daughter is also a softball player. She's been attending a weekly group lesson with a local HE "coach." At one point she announces that she has six pitches. DD just nods and gives me the side-eye.

giphy.gif

Dec 5, 2017
I came to the thread expecting delusions of grandeur, I leave laughing out loud. Well played, good sir!

I was smiling as I typed it thinking about how many people were going to call me an idiot before clicking on it.

Oct 4, 2018
Was thinking about a post I read elsewhere and the guy was saying his dd had 4 or 5 pitches. I instantly had the goofy thought that my 9 yo has also mastered 4 pitches- too high, too low, too inside and too outside ;)

But can she throw them on demand!

I get a kick out of the times I ask the DD to pitch high, inside corner and I get a beautiful low and away strike. I mostly love the smile she gives me.

Oct 4, 2018
LOL. In my observations of 9yos, you're on the right track. :)

When someone says their kid "has ___ pitches", it usually means this is the number of pitches they are currently working on developing, with various levels of success. IMO, you don't "have" a pitch until you can throw it, in a game, on any count, with reasonably consistent accuracy to the intended spot, and the pitch does what it's designed to do (curve, drop, etc). Until then, it's a work in progress.

I told my 9 year old DD that she had 1.1 pitches. .7 of a fastball and .4 of a changeup. And for the next few years it will be impossible for her to get above 2.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28