My 12U DD missing away

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
Two small things I see in the video. At 12:00 she is a little late with the ball. It is still facing towards the hitter instead of 1st base. Not real bad. The other thing is her right shoulder is not getting to the full open position. Her glove is pointed towards the hitter but the shoulder is not. It can throw the arm circle off slightly.

One of the things I tell girls who are not fully getting their shoulders open to point their little finger of their glove hand at the target. It helps keep the shoulder in.

Aug 20, 2017
Two small things I see in the video. At 12:00 she is a little late with the ball. It is still facing towards the hitter instead of 1st base. Not real bad. The other thing is her right shoulder is not getting to the full open position. Her glove is pointed towards the hitter but the shoulder is not. It can throw the arm circle off slightly.

One of the things I tell girls who are not fully getting their shoulders open to point their little finger of their glove hand at the target. It helps keep the shoulder in.
On ball facing hitter at 12:00: Ive always had her focus on having ball facing catcher at this point to maintain palm up on the backside (BM 12:00 or Liberty Drill). Is this something I need to reconsider? I froze the video and she is getting completely open, not for very long but it’s there. Always thought getting open was a non teach for the most part. Appreciate the feedback

Oct 26, 2019
@Cornbread First let me preface this with “I am definitely not a pitching coach”. I’m just a bucket dad of a kid learning to pitch. My DD missed in quite a bit (which would be same as yours except she’s opposite handed). The adjustment her PC made was to have her not turn back chest facing the catcher when she finished, but to instead maintain the 45-55 degree angle at finish.

Aug 20, 2017
@Cornbread First let me preface this with “I am definitely not a pitching coach”. I’m just a bucket dad of a kid learning to pitch. My DD missed in quite a bit (which would be same as yours except she’s opposite handed). The adjustment her PC made was to have her not turn back chest facing the catcher when she finished, but to instead maintain the 45-55 degree angle at finish.
Thanks! We have worked on throwing through her body and not around it. I’ve done what Rick Pauly suggests and set up catcher a few steps glove side when she pitches. When I set up in this position she tends to close more at release. When I set up down middle she stays more open at release but misses to throwing arm side. This stuff is driving me nuts lol

Jan 28, 2017
To me it looks like she leads with her pinky which is good but pronates late. Her hand/fingers do not get behind the ball therefore pushing it towards the outside. Fingers should be pointing towards the ground and ball out at mid thigh. I don't think her fingers are pointed down at release. I think her fingers are getting there between her thing and belly button.

Aug 20, 2017
To me it looks like she leads with her pinky which is good but pronates late. Her hand/fingers do not get behind the ball therefore pushing it towards the outside. Fingers should be pointing towards the ground and ball out at mid thigh. I don't think her fingers are pointed down at release. I think her fingers are getting there between her thing and belly button.
That was my initial thought. Could it be due to stride length that causes late pronation? In warm ups (mostly 12:00 drills and one step walk throughs) she throws it down the gut. It’s mostly when we go full pitching motion that the arm side miss occurs. Any ques for pronating on time without messing with the stride? Thanks for the feedback

Jul 3, 2018

Tango and cornbread, my DD pronates late too, we had the luxury of having the team photographer at our game Friday night, and he took some great pics. One in particular confirmed my thoughts that she pronates to late, and I’m guessing she’s losing speed with this and lacks better control because of this..any PCs please tell me if I’m right on this. I’ll attach the photo of what I’m talking about. May be the same problem your DD is having. Before anyone points it out, I know her stride foot angle isn’t optimal, we’re working on that. F216375E-B77D-4D26-AAB4-8770A652F28F.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom