Moving up ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2014
Michigan
I think the first thing I would consider is what she wanted to do. I've maintained with my daughter that these opportunities are about what she wants to do and I try to give her a lot of stake in the decision making process.

Having said that, rather it be softball or basketball, my goal is to have her playing with like competition, very challenging but not overwhelming -a good balance. Currently she is a fourth grader and just turned 10. She plays on a 5th grade AAU basketball team and fits in great. I really wouldn't want her playing down.

Softball get a little tricky and is a lot like a situation mentioned earlier. I am very happy and content with her playing 10u TB. Could she handle 11u or 12u, I think so but I don't feel there is a need for that. She likes the girls she plays with and they are very competitive. Little league is another story. If she has to stay down or is forced to stay down to play 9-10 minors, she will probably not play little league. Last year she was the only third grader on the 9-10 all stars (8 fifth graders 2 fourth graders) and was there starting shortstop, batted lead off and led everyone with a 640 average (6 games) and every offensive category, next closes was slightly under 500. The two fourth graders were a combine 0-14 with 13 strikeouts. With those being the next best two I do not thing she is going to enjoy this level of play as I feel she may be a little more advanced and will get much more out of playing up with many of the girls she played with on the all star team.

I think every situation is differnt and you need to see what her thoughts are and what's going to be best for her now and in the future and make a sound decision. Good luck to you!!

Mar 24, 2014
My DD is playing up one age division (11u but playing 13u) and seems to enjoy it. Competitive team and holding a starting position. Just take it one season at a time and if she starts for to peak then can always stay in the higher age group an extra season. Playing up seems to make her a better ball player.

Mar 21, 2013
A lot of it depends on the strength of your league. We are in So Cal and our 8's can beat some leagues 10's. The ball size change can be a factor as well. Plus, we use the harder ball at the 10U level as well.

If she was a second year 8 I would not have an issue, but a first year 8? What's wrong with her being successful in a division before moving up? I don't mean successful from just being able to go out and play. I mean let her flat out dominate. Playing up and being average doesn't give you confidence. Being able to play any position very well at her age gives you confidence.

We have a player that is playing up on our team 10U team. Skill wise she is decent, but mentally she is 8. For our rec league players to play up they have to be in the top half, or so, of the division they want to move in to.

Jul 30, 2014
A lot of it depends on the strength of your league. We are in So Cal and our 8's can beat some leagues 10's. The ball size change can be a factor as well. Plus, we use the harder ball at the 10U level as well.

If she was a second year 8 I would not have an issue, but a first year 8? What's wrong with her being successful in a division before moving up? I don't mean successful from just being able to go out and play. I mean let her flat out dominate. Playing up and being average doesn't give you confidence. Being able to play any position very well at her age gives you confidence.

We have a player that is playing up on our team 10U team. Skill wise she is decent, but mentally she is 8. For our rec league players to play up they have to be in the top half, or so, of the division they want to move in to.

The thought of her staying down to be a dominant player in 8U has crossed my mind and my wife's. Then it hit me that its not about what I want for her. But what does she want? So, we sat down and talked about it and because she is so close with the core group of girls that will be moving up, she would rather move up and play with them. I even explained the different challenges that would be faced with moving up to 10U. She says she don't want to play coach pitch anymore. She said she is ready to move up to the next level, so that is what we will do. However, we might try to do some 8U pick ups when the 10U is not playing. I'm not worried about burn out with her. She eats and sleeps softball.

Mar 21, 2013
The thought of her staying down to be a dominant player in 8U has crossed my mind and my wife's. Then it hit me that its not about what I want for her. But what does she want? So, we sat down and talked about it and because she is so close with the core group of girls that will be moving up, she would rather move up and play with them. I even explained the different challenges that would be faced with moving up to 10U. She says she don't want to play coach pitch anymore. She said she is ready to move up to the next level, so that is what we will do. However, we might try to do some 8U pick ups when the 10U is not playing. I'm not worried about burn out with her. She eats and sleeps softball.

We are lucky in our league in that though our 8U is modified coach pitch we have strong pitchers, and most 8U team's starting pitchers have no problem getting the ball over the plate. I'm not sure where you are from, but in our area of So Cal when you get to 8U all-stars they aren't walking in many runs either. You better be ready to swing the bat.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
When my youngest started we had her play 10u when she was 8u eligible. She played 2 seasons at 10u rec. This coming season she is moving up to 12u, but is 10u eligible. She is still playing 10u TB this season though. We will have her stay at 12u till she ages out.

My oldest was 10u eligible when she started, but played 12u, and stayed in 12 u till she aged out. She moves to 14u rec this year. She played 14u TB for the 2013-14 season though. She stayed in 12u only because we liked her coach. If it wouldn't have been for him, she would have moved up for rec. Most of her team for TB played 14u rec, but since our league limits the amount of travel ball players on one team, she would have only played with one or 2 of those girls.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802