Moving up to 12u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Dominant 10U pitchers will often become mediocre in 12U when they first make the move to the bigger ball and longer distance. Some battle through, and succeed. Some can't take the struggle. Good mechanics are a necessary foundation for success.

This is a critical time for development. Prioritize good instructional coaching over coaches that just want to win. If your DD is not playing a majority of innings, find a different team.

Don't dumb down the game. 11-12yos are smart, and can execute at a high-level if you help them build the skills/knowledge to do it.

Dec 12, 2020
Yes, so much hitting. So much fun.

Also, with the improved hitting, the speed of the game is more noticeable. The IF gotta make quick plays.

Reactions: RJK
Mar 28, 2020
When our girls played 12U that was the transition to outfield play.....at 10U all the talent was in the in field in 12U teams have to start putting talent in the outfield.....lose a lot of games without a functioning outfield.

Apr 14, 2022
What are some of the key differences and hardest learning curves you noticed moving from 10u to 12u from both a players and coaches perspective? My daughter has played in some 12u games so I have some idea, but I'd like to hear what you all think. Thank you!
The difference in size is noticeable. Some players are 7th graders with a birthday after Jan 1. Look like grown women next to 5th graders at times.

Jun 11, 2013
Just remember that half the teams are in the same boat as you and moving up too. You'll have some tough ones when you play a 2nd year 12U team but the best ones often play up anyway.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
The game dynamics in 10u is awful, regardless of the skill level of the players. The game dynamics in 12u is a breath of fresh air as the players truly gain the physical and mental skills to actually play the game. The Coaches in our area that were most successful knew the difference in 10u and 12u and classified their team at a lower level at the start of 12u. Teams that were 10u "A" started in 12u "B" and 10u "B" started in 12u "C".

Feb 24, 2022
In addition to what everyone else said, I will say that I think the spread of teams that you face in 12U is probably the biggest at any age level. You will see 12U C/low B first year teams (sometimes called 11U) that are very developmental and then 12U A teams that look like giants and have multiple girls hitting the ball 200+ ft. Along with that comes the spread in pitching. We have faced girls throwing in the high 30's/low 40's on the low end to low 60's on the high end. So do your research before entering tournaments. You want to challenge your girls, but you don't want to throw them to the wolves. Take a look at the teams that are in your area and be realistic about how you stack up.

Probably the biggest difference is that this is where the game starts to speed up. If you don't charge infield ground balls girls will beat them out. If you hold on to the ball girls will take extra bases. You can't just "throw to first", you have to know to get lead runners. You have to have good bunt defense. Girls will be tagging up. Catchers who can throw out runners. Dropped third strikes. Defending 1st and 3rd with less than 2 outs. It goes on and on.

Hopefully I haven't scared you off :)

Seriously, 12U is a great level of softball. Most girls are going to struggle their first half season (that's why is preferable to move up in the Fall, so that you take your lumps in a shorter season and have Winter workouts to get better). Don't get discouraged, have fun with it and help the girls get better.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
1B who can catch everything are critical. Hitters can't look for walks.

That's what I told DD when she started 12U playing in a Fall competitive league. To show me how wrong I was, she reached base her first 10 at-bats with a mix of walks and HBPs...the 11th AB was a double. I guess she finally got tired of looking at/dodging pitches. :unsure:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee