Moving up as a team or moving on?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2020
So this isn’t happening just yet but just out of curiosity had this thought and want to discuss it.
Would you rather your DD stay with a team that moves up as a team and you can tell the bond is there? Or do you make the switch every so often?

As far the team aspect, it’s a team they joined that grew together, the coach is still challenging them, and all the girls just click.

Keep in mind this isn’t about how many games they win or what their status is. A team is so much more than a constant string of wins (don’t get me wrong I love winning) but rather the overall concept they gain of being on a team and building themselves up.

Jun 8, 2016
No point in moving just for the sake of moving if that is what you are saying (which you probably aren't but I didn't understand what the reason was)

Apr 28, 2014
Would depend on the long term goals of DD and the track record of the coaches/organization to help accomplish those goals...
Agree with this^
DW and I had a rare kid free dinner last night and we started to talk about DDs teams from 8u to today 18u. It amazed us to think that almost every super star from back then doesn't play today. Majority of those girls stayed together while DD and 3 others left for stronger competition. The 4 who left are all playing either DII or DI ball next year.

Sep 19, 2018
What age? My only hesitation would be can your dd handle playing up? Can she compete? Can she emotionally handle possibly struggling? A 14 playing 16u might be way different than a 10 playing 12u?

May 27, 2013
I’d say that at the 12U age and younger, if dd likes the team and she is learning and being challenged, then stay with the team. After that, it becomes more goal-oriented on how far the player wants to go with the sport.

I used to be a big-time believer in trying to keep a team together through the years. I enjoyed coaching with my friends. and watching the girls develop together. However, as time goes by, you will see the girls who want it more. Who want to play at the next level. Those are the girls that need to play at the next level, on a team known for placing girls in college.

Do not fall into that trap of being hesitant to move on for fear of being labeled a “team hopper.” You can never be faulted for doing what is best for your DD’s development and goals.

Jun 8, 2016
He/she gave no information other than the team was moving up..not sure how anybody can make any recommendations based upon what info he/she gave.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
It poses an interesting question.
Aside from comfort of being with same people and growing to what amount?

Can we be challenged more by a new environment?
New approach to coaching?
Possibly better players?

Goals may be the greater focus to answering this?!
And
Goals are different for people, hence different answers to this.

Apr 28, 2014
One of the best decisions DW and I think we made was never having DD on a team where she was the #1 pitcher (except this year). Having her on teams where she had to work hard to earn circle time made her better. You gotta place your DD on teams where she is forced to work hard to earn her time. Many people love having their DD be the best player on the team. Remember the old saying, if you're the best player in the gym, find a new gym.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog