Moving the bat...who is responsible?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
I'm inclined to think y'all are reading too much into it. Get on the field and lay down a bunt and book it to first base. Your bat probably gets dropped right about where theirs do.
You're right. I take it all back. I remembered that my DD laid down a bunt this weekend and looked back at the video. She dropped the bat when she hit it.

1617219607983.png

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Shouldn't the umpire kick or pick up the bat out of the way? The ball was driven to RCF wall...he had plenty of time.

I was taught not to touch the bat - and that has been reinforced at every clinic I have attended when the subject came up.

Not just because of playing reasons, but mainly because the umpire is meant to be doing other things. On a deep fly ball you already should be out towards the circle to get a view of the catch, and then you are moving into position to ready for possible plays at third or home (depending on the situation) - all while keeping track of where the ball, and where the runners are so you can predict what could happen and be ready to move. Not stopping that to move a bat.

Aug 25, 2019
I was taught not to touch the bat - and that has been reinforced at every clinic I have attended when the subject came up.

Not just because of playing reasons, but mainly because the umpire is meant to be doing other things. On a deep fly ball you already should be out towards the circle to get a view of the catch, and then you are moving into position to ready for possible plays at third or home (depending on the situation) - all while keeping track of where the ball, and where the runners are so you can predict what could happen and be ready to move. Not stopping that to move a bat.
Let me ask you marriad brother, say there was a play where you had time to move a bat but didn’t, and a runner from third ran into it and broke her leg, you’d be good with that?....”Oh well not my job to move it”. Like I said before, if I could move it I would, if I miss something by doing that, so be it, not sure what kind of coach would argue that over player safety.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Let me ask you marriad brother, say there was a play where you had time to move a bat but didn’t, and a runner from third ran into it and broke her leg, you’d be good with that?....”Oh well not my job to move it”. Like I said before, if I could move it I would, if I miss something by doing that, so be it, not sure what kind of coach would argue that over player safety.

Flash, let's look at it the other way. You DO try to move the bat and don't quite get it clear and the same runner runs into it a breaks a leg. Now, are you going to be ok with that? Plus, do you think DF might just give a thought to speed dialing that attorney on retainer?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Shame it always comes down to that.

Unfortunately, even though it isn't at the top of what you are thinking when one umpires, it is always tickling at the back of your brain, especially when you are doing this sort of 'what if' discussion away from the diamond.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

Yep, I would be good because this is absolutely what we are taught to do and there are very good reasons for the umpire not to touch any equipment.

In the CCA/NCCA Umpires Mechanics it is addressed directly:
After the Ball is Hit
• ...other duites deleted
Never touch any team equipment (for example, discarded bat).

There are other people there who are in a much better position to move the bat who don't have ongoing play responsibilities. - on-deck batter, catcher, other fielders, etc. I have things to do through the whole play.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It's the catcher's domain. The ump is just there to confirm that all the pitches are strikes and all the tags are outs. ;):ROFLMAO:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee