Moving the bat...who is responsible?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
Have a related question. We played a team this weekend that plays a lot of small ball. Everyone of their players who bunted, and they are very good at it, looked like they were purposely laying the bat down right across the front of the plate between the catcher and ball. Obviously as the offensive teams parents it looked like dirty ball to us by purposely putting an trip hazard for the catcher to navigate. Opinions on that?

Aug 25, 2019
As a umpire I move the bat if I could, I don't want to see anyone get hurt, that's why. Although it would be good if a coach could teach the players to toss the bat in foul territory, it mostly affects the offensive player coming home. Somehow my DD developed it on her own, she hits the ball, then on her first few steps to first, she flips it in foul territory on the 1st base side.

Aug 25, 2019
Have a related question. We played a team this weekend that plays a lot of small ball. Everyone of their players who bunted, and they are very good at it, looked like they were purposely laying the bat down right across the front of the plate between the catcher and ball. Obviously as the offensive teams parents it looked like dirty ball to us by purposely putting an trip hazard for the catcher to navigate. Opinions on that?
Nothing illegal about that, actually good strategy.....

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Nothing illegal about that, actually good strategy.....
Might even have a downside for the offense, depending on how 'carefully' they place the bat. C starts rising earlier and moving forward you end up with a 'that's nothing' entanglement with the batter.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My DD tends to clear bats near the plate out of the way because they might interfere with her making a defensive play at the plate.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Screenshot_2021-03-31-09-45-55-1.png

Screenshot_2021-03-31-09-46-13-1.png

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Very possible the players were trained to lay the bat down. The reason may be to get in the way of the catcher, or it may be to prevent a rolling bat that makes contact with the ball on a short bunt, causing an out. Probably both.

Oct 4, 2018
Umpires absolutely do not touch the bat. You play around it or teach your on-deck player (or a player who just scored) to get it.

Oct 4, 2018

I'm inclined to think y'all are reading too much into it. Get on the field and lay down a bunt and book it to first base. Your bat probably gets dropped right about where theirs do.

May 1, 2018
Bat - Could it have been moved sure, are they responsible for doing it no.
Plate - Clear and open path to the front of the plate, where she slid into.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802