Moving the bat...who is responsible?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 6, 2016
A couple things going on in this play. My 12u DD (the runner) is coming home and ....ummm. hey umpire...or catcher...forget to move something? DD had to somehow get over the bat left lying there and also avoid the catcher who's standing right on home plate without the ball. Luckily, she avoided both and nobody got hurt. 😁

Shouldn't the umpire kick or pick up the bat out of the way? The ball was driven to RCF wall...he had plenty of time.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
MI
Shouldn't the umpire kick or pick up the bat out of the way? The ball was driven to RCF wall...he had plenty of time.
Under normal circumstances, an umpire will TRY to remove bats that are a hazard. On-deck batter could, catcher could. This year, in Michigan, there is a directive that umpires are NOT to touch equipment due to Covid and cross contamination (//sarcasm on//thank you Gov Whitmer//sarcasm off//). Possibly the situation here if this is a school game?

Mar 6, 2016
Under normal circumstances, an umpire will TRY to remove bats that are a hazard. On-deck batter could, catcher could. This year, in Michigan, there is a directive that umpires are NOT to touch equipment due to Covid and cross contamination (//sarcasm on//thank you Gov Whitmer//sarcasm off//). Possibly the situation here if this is a school game?

Agree about the on deck hitter as a possibility, but seems like that player is the farthest away at that point. Seems the ump would be the best option. Does the Mich rule prohibit them from touching the softballs as well? Here in So Cal it was like that a few months ago, but now the umps have the softballs in their pouch as usual.

As my DD came down the line, that's all I could think about was "Oh, s#it ! The bat!" I've seen a few girls over the years slide right onto the bat left there and got hurt.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD was on-deck and picked the bat up during a play to get it out of the way. Umpire yelled a her to stay off the field. Last time that happened, umpire was correct.

If C wants to get it out of the way fine but in general umpire should just ignore it.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
I am not touching the bat. Not the umpires responsibility to move the bat, just as Mike Hurd stated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee