Moving from 10u to 12u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 15, 2019
Hi all. Hope you all are well!

We are on the West Coast and have had no tournaments this season. We actually did go to Utah to play in one, but what a very long drive. That is the only tournament we’ve had and I’m hearing that the season is over.

So, my daughter is a pitcher who turns 11 next month. Our current team wants to stay in 10u through fall, but I am hearing we might as well get a jump on 12u pitching and the bigger ball, etc. so we can be ready for spring. There is a team interested in her. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? We’ve already been practicing with the 12u ball and distance and she seems to be doing great. Thanks in advance!

May 23, 2015
Kids adapt and grow like no other. I wpuld let her play up. It has to happen next year any way. She'll be just fine

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I believe the jump from 10u to 12u is the biggest jump she will make. Bigger ball and the mound back aside, at 12u there are young ladies mixed in with little girls. Young ladies that are 5'7" and weighing 135 lbs post puberty hitting lasers playing against 4'6", 70 lbs. little girls A decent first year 12u team vs a good second year 12u team get lopsided really fast. Coaches have to be good at scheduling the teams competition in order not to have a 1 and 24 record and kill the teams spirit. Nothing worse than being on a non competitive team.
Almost all teams need pitchers. Check out all your options. Ask questions before you commit.

Dec 11, 2010
I don’t know if this will help or if it is relevant but what you might find is that she can switch back and forth between both size balls almost at will. I was surprised how easily that happened.

What Rolling Hard said above, especially that first sentence, is also absolutely true and it is what I remember very clearly.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
If the team all ages up. Playing this fall at 10u won’t help the girls as much as all moving up will. If they stay down they will be playing younger teams. And if they move up they will be probably playing teams they would have played in the summer.

May 11, 2018
i would say it all depends on your daughters size and if she is ahead of everyone else in her age group. usually the youngest player on a team gets the least amount of playtime.

May 20, 2016
My DD started playing 12U when she was 10. Think the hardest adjustment is for the parents. Kids take it in stride.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I believe the jump from 10u to 12u is the biggest jump she will make. Bigger ball and the mound back aside, at 12u there are young ladies mixed in with little girls. Young ladies that are 5'7" and weighing 135 lbs post puberty hitting lasers playing against 4'6", 70 lbs. little girls A decent first year 12u team vs a good second year 12u team get lopsided really fast. Coaches have to be good at scheduling the teams competition in order not to have a 1 and 24 record and kill the teams spirit. Nothing worse than being on a non competitive team.
Almost all teams need pitchers. Check out all your options. Ask questions before you commit.

This ^^^ is pretty spot on.

12U itself has the biggest size dynamic of any age group, and adding 10yos to the mix increases that dynamic even more. Some of the 12U teams you face will feel like monsters (I recall on particular girl over 6' tall), especially if they are older teams who aren't playing up in the fall. That said, I agree with taking the step up in the fall. The fall struggles will be good for their development, and things will normalize a bit in the spring.

The road ahead is still long. Don't panic too much about the details right now. If your DD is having fun and getting better, you're on a good path.

Jul 8, 2020
My opinion, playing 10U in the fall then having to go to 12U in the spring does not help the girls develop. They may do well against 10U competition but that's not who they will face come spring time. I've heard people call coaches that play down in the fall trophy hunters. Not saying this is the case and there might be valid reasons to play down.

Mar 6, 2016
Agree with others...move on to 12u now. It will prepare your DD and team far more since they move up anyways in spring.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee