Movement pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2015
Okay, you pitching gurus...what is the easiest movement pitch to teach to 14-16 yr olds......been told a few different things...thanks

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
Okay, you pitching gurus...what is the easiest movement pitch to teach to 14-16 yr olds......been told a few different things...thanks
Dropball for sure. A 14-16 year-old should already be pretty close to having a drop even if they never formally learned it. After drop would be curve and then rise. Not a fan of wasting time trying to teach a screwball.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Would second @robertc3. Drop Ball is essentially the same as throwing your fastball. Just need to work to get 12-6 top spin to make it break downward. Fingers need to be behind the ball at release. My DD is 13 (turning 14 in a couple months) and we are working on adding the drop ball to her fastball and change up.

May 17, 2012
I have found this varies by the individual. I have had some that never master the drop ball even though it is often quoted as the easiest pitch to learn.

For some it will be a change-up, others a curve, etc...

Oct 4, 2018
To be an effective pitcher, the change-up is almost always the second pitch taught. In 10U and 12U a great fastball and a change will get you very far.

When it comes to movement pitches, most everyone I've talked to recommends the drop next.

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
Drop 1st pitch to learn from day 1 of pitching followed by change up after command spotting the drop inside and outside. Then learn riseball spin, arm action, progression etc.

Sep 29, 2014
Gonna second @uncdrew you should teach the change up second but the drop probably comes the most natural.

Although once they are well on there way to having the basic mechanics correct I'm all for girls trying out lots subtle different grips and spins on their own and just seeing what they can make the ball do.....minus the riseball for this pitch seek help from someone who knows what they are doing....but as far as changing the seams you grip or fingers you put pressure on and probably any rotation between 10-2 and putting ball deeper in your grip to slow it down or whatever, I say experiment away. Lots of girls get frustrated because it seems they can't throw the pitch exactly the way the coach told them when a simple small adjustment could have made all the difference.

Jun 4, 2019
Heard a SEC head coach speak 2 years ago at a clinic. She said she wants girls she recruits to have a great FB (63 mph consistently) and a great CU. Then maybe a decent drop. If a girl tells her she has 4-5 pitches, she won’t bother recruiting her because she knows she’s FOS.

Focus on FB and CU until you get to HS. Then work on a drop. You don’t need anything else.

People focus too much on trying to move a huge 12” ball from 43’ away. That’s tough to do. Changing speeds is more effective by far. Develop 3 speeds and you will go far.

Aug 21, 2008
Keep in mind, one of the hardest things for pitchers to do is learn the rise. I believe this is PARTLY because girls are taught a curveball first. While a curve and a rise are extremely similar in grip and finger movements, one you spin sideways, the other backward. MOST OF THE TIME when you learn the curve first, it makes the rise harder to do. Why? Because they get in the habit of turning the wrist. This habit comes from the HORRIBLE HORRIBLE expression "turn the door knob" for learning the rise. This phrase promotes the wrist to turn, turning the wrist creates bullet spin. The wrist is actually the riseball killer, it makes it almost impossible to put backspin on the ball. Once the wrist turns, the thumb is no longer pointed to 3rd base (RH pitcher) and now points to the catcher: this is bullet spin.

Keep in mind, I'm talking about a REAL curve ball.... not the junk where people step WAYYYYY over their powerline and throw the ball to the opposite side of the plate. Then they think they made the ball curve because they angled it to the outside of the plate. That is forced movement, not breaking pitches.

If your kid has 12/6 spin, she's already 90% of the way to her dropball. Now it's just working on the release. IF she doesn't have that spin, go back and get that spin!

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802