Move in Day

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Bittersweet day.

My DD 3 is a newly minted college freshman moving into her dorm today, and I can't be with her. She attends one of the many thousands of colleges in Boston. DD 2 is a junior at the same college. DD 2 moves into an off-campus apartment with 4 friends today. I and can't be there to help.

Originally DW and I were going to drive to Boston, help the girls move in, and then have a leisurely drive back, visiting DW's parents in NYC along the way. But we can't travel to Mass. or NY these days. Pity.

Anyway, DD 3 hung up her cleats about a year ago. She didn't play for her HS team -- she was good at softball but bad at school politics. Pity. The HS team struggled without her, but the coaches never figured out why they couldn't win any playoff games, ever. But, DD 3 came back and played for a club team that needed a utility player to cover kids who were on vacation. DD 3 mostly played outfield, but she occasionally pitched, including 3 games on Sunday of her last tournament -- 2 complete game victories, and a great relief performance in a game that was already lost.

DD 3's college doesn't have a softball team. They have a club, but DD 3 is in a very tough academic program, and doesn't have time for softball.

Of course I am worried about my baby being off in college. This is the youngest of my 4 kids, so I am really feeling ancient.

I think she will be OK. They have COVID testing today, Thursday and Saturday, then every 3 days until this thing ends. She made friends with her new roommate over social media this summer. Her older sister is a few blocks away. She made a few other friends via social media with some other freshmen. And, there is a girl at the school, a junior, who she knew from Little League days.

But then, the whole point of being a parent is so our kids can leave the nest and fly out on their own.

It just happens so fast. Blink of an eye. One minute she was a baby, the youngest of 4 kids. I blink and she's playing in elementary school. Blink again and she's in 10U, 12U, 14U and 16U tournaments. Blink again and she's graduating HS and off to college.

Speaking of blinking, my DD 1 graduated from college this year, and my DS has been out of college for a couple of years.

So fast.

To you parents out there -- enjoy it while you can. It's gone sooner than you think.

Nov 29, 2009
Take pictures!!!!!!! Tons and tons of pictures. Be a pest with your camera.

You'll find yourself looking through them down the road recalling the good and bad times like it was last week, all the while asking yourself. "Why didn't I take more???"

Jun 11, 2012
We just finished moving DD into her new apartment for her junior year. If I never have to drive a uhaul van through crowded Boston streets on September 1st it will still be too soon. We told her she can’t move until she graduates.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Two years ago we moved DD 2 into her dorm on August 31 in a large SUV. That was terrible in the Boston streets. I can’t even imagine how bad Moving Day would be with a U-Haul.

DW learned to drive in Manhattan, and is used to city driving. That did not prepare her for Boston.

Let me paint a picture, and @murphdog can tell you if this is accurate.

imagine neighborhoods with students from multiple colleges, universities and conservatories all living off campus. The off campus leases all start on September 1. The streets are narrow and crowded. Parking is at best problematic. The apartment buildings all have narrow doorways and insane staircases. And everyone’s parents are with them with U-Hauls and SUVs and whatnot.

The dorm students are staggered in their arrivals, but thousands of them are moving in that day as well, especially if they have a sibling in off campus housing.

Oh, and nobody has all their stuff. So everyone has to drive to Target or wherever and stock up. And then get the stuff back home.

Well, @murphdog, maybe I don’t feel so bad about not moving DD 2 into her apartment and DD 3 into her dorm that day. Thanks for reminding me as to the dark side of what I missed.

Jun 8, 2016
I grew up in MA and went to Tufts and probably have driven in Boston < 20 times. If one of my kids wants to go to school in the city I will put them on a plane with 2 suitcases and tell them how to use the T....😝

Sep 17, 2009
All the best Bob. My youngest returned home after virtually graduating from college in May. With no jobs to be found she decided to go to grad school somewhat locally, they went virtual so she has been staying with us back in her childhood room. Today she let us know she found some roommates and a place in the city and wants to move out. Happy for her, sad for DW and I we thought we'd lucked (Covid-luck, not so lucky I guess) into having her with us a while longer. It does go fast. But what comes next is pretty cool too, if verrrry different :)

Jun 11, 2012
Two years ago we moved DD 2 into her dorm on August 31 in a large SUV. That was terrible in the Boston streets. I can’t even imagine how bad Moving Day would be with a U-Haul.

DW learned to drive in Manhattan, and is used to city driving. That did not prepare her for Boston.

Let me paint a picture, and @murphdog can tell you if this is accurate.

imagine neighborhoods with students from multiple colleges, universities and conservatories all living off campus. The off campus leases all start on September 1. The streets are narrow and crowded. Parking is at best problematic. The apartment buildings all have narrow doorways and insane staircases. And everyone’s parents are with them with U-Hauls and SUVs and whatnot.

The dorm students are staggered in their arrivals, but thousands of them are moving in that day as well, especially if they have a sibling in off campus housing.

Oh, and nobody has all their stuff. So everyone has to drive to Target or wherever and stock up. And then get the stuff back home.

Well, @murphdog, maybe I don’t feel so bad about not moving DD 2 into her apartment and DD 3 into her dorm that day. Thanks for reminding me as to the dark side of what I missed.
C is living in the North End this year, think predominantly cobblestone narrow one way streets. Tons of restaurants that now have outdoor seating on the sidewalks. She went from a second floor narrow curved stairway to a third floor with a much wider stairway. Thankfully her roommate came an hour later so we already had her stuff inside. My husband refused to even try to drive the rented van because he didn’t grow up driving in the city like I did.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
My DD's started college this week....all online classes, no campus, no dorms just Zoom calls from the kitchen table or their room. My empty nest fantasies are on hold. I do love having them around and we are all having fun with it so that silver lining is real. They've gotten part time jobs and are assistant coaches for the HS team which is teaching them a whole new side to this game. I'm saddened for these kids who continue to miss out on the big traditions of their age (HS Graduation, Prom, First year college dorms, etc).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802