Motivational acronyms

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

My friend always started the first rec-ball practice of the season with "Girls, who knows what the 3 B's are?" and then proceeded to drum that in all season.
One year the team made him a card at the end of season with 3 very nicely drawn yellow bees on the front.

This has become our most important phrase over the last few years. Not sure where I got it, but it sums it up pretty well.

Jun 21, 2012
I can't remember who gave this to me, but I have used it over and over with good results.

W.I.N. = What's Important Now. This is a great focus tool. Works wonderfully after a girl makes an error. Works well in tight innings to keep focus. And is a great tool to refocus after a bad inning. Can be used throughout the game.

To be the most effective, when explaining, ensure you explain to the girls, that WIN is individual, not team wide. Your second baseman is going to have a different WIN than your pitcher at that moment.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
For hitters, I usually talk about how Ted Williams used to psyche himself up. Ted knew how important confidence was to a hitter, so he would refer to himself as "Teddy F'ing Ballgame" as he took practice swings and stood at the plate. I have since adapted that for a few hitters (high school age and above) who had great mechanics but would take themselves out of the at bat worrying about consequences. I would write a three-letter acronym on the inside visor of their helmet or on the batting gloves. If the girl's name was Sally Brown, I'd tell her the Ted Williams story then write SFB where she could see it every at-bat.

It seemed to help - especially for those who played for confidence-sucking coaches.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I don't know if I can share this or not but will take a chance. I don't know if anyone has heard or uses BTS but certain teams have used that. It means "Bring the S..." I have always hated it. So, when I heard my dd say it, I wasn't happy. So, she said that it stood for "Burn the Ships." She talked about how Cortez, but others as well in history, landed troops and then, to ensure victory, they burned their ships so that victory or death was the only alternative. Coach asked her and her teammates to approach every practice and game with the same intensity those soldiers had to have in order to gain victory. So, when someone would be slacking in practice, apparently teammates would simply approach them and say, "BTS." On Dec. 12th, she is getting a ring from her college. She was asked what she wanted to have put on her ring. "BTS"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12