Motivation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

J

JyotikaSharma

Teenagers are usually moody. Mood swings is something, which is common today. So you just need to motivate them and push them towards the right direction. Thanks.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Practices year-round? Take a month off.

I would like to also endorse a couple of months off every year. Our goal was always to shut down between Thanksgiving and New Years every year that we could. We could not do it when DD was going through the recruiting process because several schools held camps/clinics in December. This forced DD to essentially pitch for @ 22 months straight. If your team wants to continue working out try speed & agility, running, weight lifting, a service/mission project as a team.

Feb 21, 2018
I would like to also endorse a couple of months off every year. Our goal was always to shut down between Thanksgiving and New Years every year that we could. We could not do it when DD was going through the recruiting process because several schools held camps/clinics in December. This forced DD to essentially pitch for @ 22 months straight. If your team wants to continue working out try speed & agility, running, weight lifting, a service/mission project as a team.

We found this to work well too. It gives everyone an opportunity to relax a bit and come back motivated. I'm just curious, did anyone notice any bad side effects of taking this much time off?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We found this to work well too. It gives everyone an opportunity to relax a bit and come back motivated. I'm just curious, did anyone notice any bad side effects of taking this much time off?

Only downside I can thing of would be it may take you a little longer to be "game ready".

Jan 30, 2018
SE Michigan
We are 12u so not teens yet, but we practice year round. We do usually do a couple weeks off here and there throughout the winter. We do play quite a few indoor tourneys during the winter/early spring. We find that our practices get flat more than on game days. We try to break up the practices with fun stuff like scrimmages and dodge ball etc. We also try to play a tourney or scrimmage another team to keep the motivated. I see a lot of teams play music during warmups, our team doesn't usually but I think it is a good idea.

Tom

Mar 13, 2014
Texas
I would agree that some time off would help, and would suggest it during the season too. A month to recover physically over the Winter is a minimum needed to recover IMO. I would also suggest some time off during the height of the season, my guess is that is when you see the "blah" days. Having a week off here and there keeps it from becoming too routine and gives them a chance to focus mentally on something else for bit. Looking at MLB you always hear "we were just flat today" during the dog days of Summer, when games of course count but there's not as much excitement like playoff time. If you're in a tournament that really means nothing in regard to qualifying etc., shake things up radically if you feel flatness coming on. Change all your players positions and put them where they will be extremely uncomfortable. Nothing promotes attention and effort like being uncomfortable and having to do something new. They may not win, but will definitely have a good time and get a spark when your slowest player is pinch running, your clean up is slapping from left side and your CF is catching etc.

Feb 26, 2018
12U in Michigan here too, probably 1 or 2 indoor dome tournaments a month since October. I think the girls are just getting tired of playing inside the domes. We've been playing winter league as well which wraps up next week. Even as a parent, I'm ready to get back outside already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28