Most obnoxious parent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I saw some brain farts yesterday in the Alabama - Kentucky game.

It happens to everyone! Which is what we try to tell the girls. But, still need to learn from it and do better next time. Funny thing is the indecision from outfield happened at DD's first JH game last night. RF fielded it with multiple base runners in motion and.....froze. The entire parents section "THROW IT IN!"

Luckily......no obnoxious parents this game! Very cordial and supportive. Nothing from the apposing teams side either. Hope it stays that way.

Oct 4, 2018
During DD’s first year of TB I was 100% guilty of being the parent yelling “Go one go one!!” or “Make the adjustment” or a number of other dumb useless things. It’s similar to being the guy at a hockey game yelling “shoot!” all of the time.

Now I just find a spot away from the other parents......sit back and applaud for all the good plays. Whether it’s our team or not. It’s much more enjoyable.

Yes, most of us reach that zen place pretty quickly after a bit of self-reflection.

I see some parents hoot and holler for a bunt reached on error by their princess. My DD hits a laser scoring 2 and I clap once or twice. I try to clap the same (or more) for her team mates. I like the "act like you've done it before" approach.

May 6, 2015
. I try to clap the same (or more) for her team mates. I like the "act like you've done it before" approach.
try very hard to do this, including the opposition when they make a nice play (whether I know the player or not). acknowledge great and good play, encourage (but not coach), and if you are not doing either of those, to put it bluntly, STFU. do I always succeed in this, no, but I try ;)

Apr 6, 2017
We played a team that used cow bells. Didn’t matter if they were winning or loosing. Maybe it was effective because we hated it. They carried on a beer party that looked fun behind the fence in center field. At one point their tent blew over the fence and to top it off two drunk dad’s climbed over the fence chasing it(one fell down and made my day). And yes the game was stopped for the outfield fiasco!

May 29, 2019
One year, we had a real "peach" of a parent on DD's travel team. The HC wouldn't reel in his behavior because "his kid is one of the best pitchers in the state..." I think we have all seen that kind of coach that will let the parents get away with murder because they want the "stud" player on the roster.

We are at a tourney somewhere, and we picked up a guest player for the weekend. During one of the guest player's at-bats, she strikes out looking without swinging at a pitch. As she is walking back to the dugout, our "peachy" parent says to her "If you aren't going to swing the bat, you might as well just stay in the car." We ended up losing that game by one run. After the game, the "peachy" parent says loud enough for everyone to hear "We would have won that game if the coach didn't get that freaking (but he didn't say "freaking" 😲) bum to sub with us!"

I know of at least two dads that almost got into fistfights with the guy that season.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
"We would have won that game if the coach didn't get that freaking (but he didn't say "freaking" 😲) bum to sub with us!"

You didn't specify an age, but let me guess...10/12U. :poop:

I'm curious what the parents of the pickup did.

May 29, 2019
You didn't specify an age, but let me guess...10/12U. :poop:

I'm curious what the parents of the pickup did.
I'm pretty sure it was 1st year 14U. I thought for sure the pickup parent was going to slug the guy, but lucky I guess he figured it wasn't worth it. I almost punched the guy at a different tournament but had the composure enough to walk out to the parking lot and cool off.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I'm pretty sure it was 1st year 14U. I thought for sure the pickup parent was going to slug the guy, but lucky I guess he figured it wasn't worth it. I almost punched the guy at a different tournament but had the composure enough to walk out to the parking lot and cool off.

I'm certain that, at a minimum, I'd have told the HC that if I heard another word (and I mean that literally), he'd need to use Mr Loudmouth to fill DD's spot.

May 29, 2019
I'm certain that, at a minimum, I'd have told the HC that if I heard another word (and I mean that literally), he'd need to use Mr Loudmouth to fill DD's spot.
Haha...my situation with the parent went like this:
My DD is batting leadoff and gets to 1st base. 2nd batter hits a line drive over short into the left-center field. As the center fielder is scooping the ball, base coach is waving DD to 3rd. As this is transpiring, I am thinking "uh oh, this ain't gonna be good" as the ball was not hit very deep and the CF was converging towards 3rd base to field the ball. Needless to say, good throw comes in and DD is out by a good three steps. Mr Looudmouth comes unglued and starts yelling "Rec league base running! Rec league base running!"

We end up scoring three runs that inning. After the 1st run scores, he yells 'If our base runners knew to run bases, that would be two!" After the 2nd run, he yells "That should be three....That should be three!" After "That should be four!" I went over to the coach in the dugout and said "If you don't get him to shut his mouth, I am going to shut it for him!" At that point, I walked out to the parking lot to cool off instead of going back to the bleachers.

Then it gets better. As I am out in the parking lot, he comes out there to talk to me. He says "You thought I was talking about your DD? I wasn't. I was talking about our coaches. They suck. They're awful. Your DD is great, I would never say anything bad about her. Blah, Blah, Blah..." Luckily I cooled off enough by then to just be able to laugh it off.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Then it gets better. As I am out in the parking lot, he comes out there to talk to me. He says "You thought I was talking about your DD? I wasn't. I was talking about our coaches. They suck. They're awful. Your DD is great, I would never say anything bad about her. Blah, Blah, Blah..." Luckily I cooled off enough by then to just be able to laugh it off.

That's when you go back to the coach and say..."Apparently, I was wrong. He now claims he was talking about how much YOU suck".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23