Most obnoxious parent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Back when I was coaching TB we had a season when everything clicked. The team was good and the parents got along. We had won 3 tournaments and finished 2nd twice. The last week of the season, the head of the org. comes up to me and says a player from the other U10 team wants to win a trophy so he wants her on our roster for the tournament. I asked him why, and how much does she have to play. He looked at me and said "do me this favor please, just get her in when you can".

This girl was called "Bear by her parents". They were the kind who bought everything new for her. Matching shoes, hair ribbons, bat, glove, etc, etc. She was a pitcher and I got her a couple of innings against a team we run ruled. The parents sat directly behind home plate and commented after EVERY PITCH. The pitch could have been 10 feet outside and they would say "good pitch Bear". The same when she was hitting only the comments were about how bad the pitch called a strike was.

Well we eventually make it to the championship game and I have our #'s 1 and 2 pitchers warming up, when Bear's father asks me why she isn't pitching the championship game? I told him straight out our #1 earned the start and if you want the best shot at a trophy for your daughter, I'm the coach and she's my choice. He didn't say a word, but walked directly over to the org. head and voiced his disapproval.

Well we won the title game and she got her trophy, took pictures, and they quit the org. Here's the photo.

10u.jpg

Aug 3, 2019
Back when I was coaching TB we had a season when everything clicked. The team was good and the parents got along. We had won 3 tournaments and finished 2nd twice. The last week of the season, the head of the org. comes up to me and says a player from the other U10 team wants to win a trophy so he wants her on our roster for the tournament. I asked him why, and how much does she have to play. He looked at me and said "do me this favor please, just get her in when you can".

This girl was called "Bear by her parents". They were the kind who bought everything new for her. Matching shoes, hair ribbons, bat, glove, etc, etc. She was a pitcher and I got her a couple of innings against a team we run ruled. The parents sat directly behind home plate and commented after EVERY PITCH. The pitch could have been 10 feet outside and they would say "good pitch Bear". The same when she was hitting only the comments were about how bad the pitch called a strike was.

Well we eventually make it to the championship game and I have our #'s 1 and 2 pitchers warming up, when Bear's father asks me why she isn't pitching the championship game? I told him straight out our #1 earned the start and if you want the best shot at a trophy for your daughter, I'm the coach and she's my choice. He didn't say a word, but walked directly over to the org. head and voiced his disapproval.

Well we won the title game and she got her trophy, took pictures, and they quit the org. Here's the photo.

View attachment 21117
Lol. Which one is “Bear”?

Mar 26, 2016

View attachment 21117
Lars is that you, when I seen this photo I thought oh crap someone is about to blast my early travel ball parent obnoxiousness, but looks like this was before my daughter joined the team (sigh of relief)...

Hope all is well!!

May 6, 2015
stories from rec

first one is actually a couple of players (sisters and step sisters, all on same team), DD1 is playing 12u (they needed a few girls to fill out rosters for 12u in the league, 5 were moved up from 10u), DD2 is playing 10u and I am HC of her team. after we lose a game to a team with these sisters and another girl whose dad was their HC (stacked team, they all played travel soccer together, I was steamrolled in draft) all in DD1s class , these girls are teasing DD1 about beating her dad's (mine) team, she comes back with "great, you beat my baby's sister's team" (they are 3 years apart, but 4 years in league ages because of birthdays).

same year, at one of DD1s 12u games against team from neighboring league (we only had 2-3 teams every year), our pitchers are struggling. dad or grandfather of player on opposing team keeps on yelling "walk em in, walk em in" every time one of our Ps walks in a run (probably at least 10 for the game), game is blowout. DW had to restrain me a couple of times, older man or not I came very close to making certain he would have false teeth. finally got the picture after their coach noticed me and said something.

couple years later, 14u rec, DD1, playing against team from neighboring league, visitors are on 1B line, couple of their parents are saying some really not nice things about our players, loud enough that our 1B and 2B can hear during warmups. got to point no one wanted to play 1B. I was no longer coaching, but on board, so went over and made it clear this was not acceptable. then one of their players makes threatening remarks in handshake line (remember those, might be best to not bring them back ;)) Police were called to make certain nothing happened in parking lot.

Nov 18, 2013
We were playing in Texas against a team from Louisiana. There were several college coaches watching and one of their parents came over and told us they were there to watch his team and not ours. I don’t doubt this because we were a no name first year 14U team and they were second year and from a known organization. After we beat them those coaches started following us!

it just so happened we met them again in bracket play. Same Dad tells us DD should give up softball and play basketball. Beat them again and sent them home. Fun times!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee