More tryout etiquette questions (when to tell current HC you are looking for another team)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Don't say anything. Go to the Saturday tryout. If she gets an offer on the spot, take it and then call current HC that evening. If not, go to your current team's tryout on Sunday. Two tips:

1. Wear school uniform (or other random tshirt) to Sat. tryout. NOT current team jersey. Trust me on this.
2. If you don't get an immediate offer on Sat., text that team's HC Sat. evening expressing how much DD liked them/the team and how you would immediately accept an offer should one be given.

Word does travel, but it may not travel quite as fast if you follow Tip #1.

P.S.-You do mean Saturday as in tomorrow, right? Not the following Saturday?

Totally agree with the first paragraph.

And want to add that this is about what team your DD plays on. That's the important part here. Yes, you want to be fair and cool and not burn bridges. But just by posting here you show you'll handle it better than the majority of people. Coaches have seen all kinds of craziness and however you handle it will pale in comparison.

Oct 4, 2018
So you mentioned she didn't like the coaches of the last team and that you were a coach of the last team.

Y'all ok? ;) :p

Jul 27, 2015
We just left a team we had been left with for the last 4 years. I will say it is best to just say you are leaving and go. Don't go into any details unless they really press.

I had a list of grievances that were legit. But what would be gained if I expressed them? They are not going to change. Just walk away and let it be. You likely will be happier later. If nothing else, if you left at the proper time (after the season), you would not have burned any bridges.

She just got back from the second tryout and this is the happiest I’ve seen her about softball in long time! We dont know which team yet but she will be happy either way.

I wish I could express this to her previous coach how much of a negative impact he had on her. Sad part is the kid knew it long before we acknowledged it because she doesnt complain.

I hate silly season but hopefully we found a good new home for her.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I sent The coach and assistant coaches each a message expressing thanks and appreciation for the time they gave us. Most understood but HC was not happy about it. I’ve seen others leave this team and how he has been to all of them. Not sure what else I could do.

You did it right. If the HC can't handle it, that's on him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee