More severe penalties

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
Just curious what opinions are for more severe penalties for rule violations in softball and/or baseball. Altered bats for example. Or extra bases awarded for HBP—not just one base, but two bases. Especially in professional ball.

Sep 18, 2011
Just curious what opinions are for more severe penalties for rule violations in softball and/or baseball. Altered bats for example. Or extra bases awarded for HBP—not just one base, but two bases. Especially in professional ball.

What does HBP have to do with rules violations?? And good lord do we need MORE incentive for players getting hit by the pitch?

Oct 25, 2009
What does HBP have to do with rules violations?? And good lord do we need MORE incentive for players getting hit by the pitch?

Didn't really mean to imply rules violation. Meant to mean more like an illegal pitch or balk-type thing.

We actually need MORE incentive for them to NOT get hit by pitch. Especially so in professional baseball.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
IMO to do anything to the HBP rule creates all sorts of byproducts that are NOT good for the game...

If you make the HBP rule more severe you:

...will eliminate the inner half of the plate for the pitchers...which in turn means hitters can effectively look just middle/out...the damn strike zone is already minuscule...

Not to mention, I may want to send a lil' message now and again after "your pitcher" plunked my #1 pitcher in the middle of the back an inning or so ago...

I love in and down/in and down/down and out (off speed) as a pitch pattern with 2 of my pitchers...they can't throw that pattern in fear of effectively giving up a "double" if they hit a batter (if you give 2 bases for a HBP)...

As for my batters...DD2 got hit 13 times as a 9 year old TB player....the whole rest of the team was hit 9 times...she was a walking bruise! If they have the cohones to stand in there and get hit, then a free pass is yours...NO I don't tell my 11 year olds to "step into" a pitch but I want their toes close to the inside line of the box...

As for the illegal bats and performance enhancing drugs or any other obvious cheats...I agree harder penalties are necessary...disembowelment is OK by me :)

CP

Jul 6, 2013
So what you are saying is that if your pitcher gets hit by a pitch, that every now and again you may want to tell your pitcher to intentionally hit the opposing batter? Shameful. But that jmo, and we know what that's worth.

Sep 29, 2014
Not to mention, I may want to send a lil' message now and again after "your pitcher" plunked my #1 pitcher in the middle of the back an inning or so ago...

This is the problem nobody is getting plunked in the back they are 95+% getting plunked in the elbow pad that they have that is sticking out of the batters box and in some cases almost over the plate.

You want to really send a message on a two strike count have some girl get plunked in that elbow pad she has sticking over the river and have the umpire punch her out with an emphatic "strike three you're out"

Feb 29, 2012
You want to really send a message on a two strike count have some girl get plunked in that elbow pad she has sticking over the river and have the umpire punch her out with an emphatic "strike three you're out"

I couldn't agree more. I also believe that the elbow bad should be banned from use in the batters box. Batters have no fear of being hit and make no attempt whatsoever to avoid being hit. Lets see if they leave their elbow there without the armor.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
This is the problem nobody is getting plunked in the back they are 95+% getting plunked in the elbow pad that they have that is sticking out of the batters box and in some cases almost over the plate.

Watching game 3 of the WCWS I think there were @ nine HBP. One was on the shin (after the batter stepped in front of the plate), one was a glance off the shoulder, and the rest were on the elbow or hands that were in the river. I would not be surprised if Florida teaches their hitters how to "take one for the team" off that elbow pad during BP.

Sep 29, 2014
Watching game 3 of the WCWS I think there were @ nine HBP. One was on the shin (after the batter stepped in front of the plate), one was a glance off the shoulder, and the rest were on the elbow or hands that were in the river. I would not be surprised if Florida teaches their hitters how to "take one for the team" off that elbow pad during BP.

Funny you mentioned this I actually remember seeing a batter for Florida turn away from an inside pitch and have a really disappointed and mad at herself reaction....like she knew she was supposed to leave her elbow out there like they were taught but she messed up (thought she might take a lap for messing it up right then, at least that was they feeling I got)

Oct 19, 2009
JMO the sport of softball is about hitting, throwing, pitching, fielding, running and not about getting on base by purposely getting HBP. IMO it takes away from the spirit of the game and the rule needs to be changed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee