More early batspeed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
So if the hands move down then the barrel will drag behind. Simple physics. Then why are there so many pics with pros before or at contact with the the barrel below their hands? Even the guys who say they hit down, chop down on the ball.
All these pics are in series showing the barrel ascending to the ball.
Your question is irrelevant regardless of what your approach/theories towards hitting are. Ferris wheel/TTB/down to..etc all require the hitter to adjust lateral tilt in varying degrees depending on pitch height. The barrel is relative to how the hitter tilts which is relative to pitch height. Of course there are times when a hitter is fooled and this alignment is not perfect. Imagine in your stills above you take the hitter and level his shoulders so they are parallel to the ground, what happens to the barrel in relation to the hands?

You are not looking at the big picture Bobby... you are still stuck on Pujois's demo and not implementing his "down to" movement into the entire swing process. In his demo, Pujois is flat footed, not in a FYB position, not involving the core, legs etc etc.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The barrel will be above your hands much later on high out side pitches. On low inside pitches the pivot will be sooner and the barrel will drop under the hands earlier and more dramatically. The strike zone is about 600sq. Inches( give or take a few). Swings will vary.

Nov 21, 2017
I read most of the posts on this topic, and found this little nugget, seems like the type of swing is dependent on the position of the ball when it comes over home plane. Feel free to discuss.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
I read most of the posts on this topic, and found this little nugget, seems like the type of swing is dependent on the position of the ball when it comes over home plane. Feel free to discuss.

In this demo, it the bat above or below the hands?

Jul 29, 2013
In the demo, the bat is aligned with the shoulders (for rotational efficiency) and the shoulders need to align with the pitch plane.
If the force of rotation is strong enough, the bat will automatically align with the shoulder plane. On it's way to alignment, if the bat starts out of plane, it will first overshoot the plane and then align.
Ted Williams said years ago, if he kept his bat very vertical, the result would be a higher launch angle. Josh Donaldson reiterated the observation.
I'm still looking for someone to answer the question.....
Why keep the barrel above the hands?
Is there some reason based in physics that requires the barrel to be above the hands?
Why not start with the barrel aligned to the shoulder plane?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tdA8brm.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28