More early batspeed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
Does anybody see a difference in her 2 warm up check swings? I think the 2nd one is much better than the 1st. Does she know the difference?
Did you notice how deep she gets the barrel on the first practice swing? She hits the ball out of the umpires hand!

Attachments

• 0.png
    0.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 01.png
    01.png
    58.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 1.png
    1.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.png
    3.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 4.png
    4.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 5
Jul 29, 2013
The second swing she complete dumps the barrel.. it doesn't match her shoulder plane lateral tilt at all.. however it's just a practice swing. So I would expected to be a little off.. but she does lose the barrel IMO
The barrel gets below her hands and shoulder plane on the game swing too. In fast pitch, you can generate enough power to hit a higher launch angle and still hit it out.
I have a video of my dd hitting a ball that went so high it was in the air 5 seconds. When it landed, it was 3 feet past the fence.12.png13.png

Jun 8, 2016
The barrel gets below her hands and shoulder plane on the game swing too. In fast pitch, you can generate enough power to hit a higher launch angle and still hit it out.
which is why the fence needs to be moved back about 20 to 25 feet. Half the HR I see in fastpitch are not even squared up...

Jul 29, 2013
Yes, I think that would be a good distance given the bat technology these days. A fully grown women using the bats of today should be able to hit it that far if they square up a ball.
But that's what pitchers are for. A fully grown man can hit a baseball out when they square it up too.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
But that's what pitchers are for. A fully grown man can hit a baseball out when they square it up too.
The 200 ft fences are from leftover little league fields. There is little to no reason why the fences are at 200 ft. The only reason is because the girls had to play on the little league fields.

Girls/woman are better now then 20 years ago. Moving the fences back could also open up some room in the gaps or dropping hits in front and over the heads of the defense.

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah but in MLB, from what I have seen, most HRs occur when a player squares one up. This is not the case in college softball imo (and which you alluded to as well). That is my point.

May 12, 2016
I have a video of my dd hitting a ball that went so high it was in the air 5 seconds. When it landed, it was 3 feet past the fence.View attachment 16728View attachment 16729

This I am not seeing. I see the barrel aligned with her shoulders, relative to tilt of course. And I know it's possible for the barrel to sometimes dip below the hands (Again relative speaking to tilt), but IMO that's a micro adjust made by the hitter when they are fooled. Ideally you don't want the barrel to dip below shoulder alignment, that's a weak position to be in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog