Mookie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
Maybe my eyes are deceiving me.

When is launch, before the front toe/heel plants? I think he rotated into footplant.
Here's where he starts his swing/launch...
Ejm5uIr.gif

....noted by the start of his rear hip starting forward, as it - through the rear obliques - starts "pulling" the rear arm downward....and begins turning the torso/upper half forward (or open), though the pulling on the front lower obliques by the subsequent turn of the lead hip they're attached to just like the rear ones.

"RHE" = Rear Hip Extension (not to be confused with "hip rotation").

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
WW

He doesn’t look closed to me just watching this clip without doing a frame by frame analysis. Looks like he rotated into foot plant.

Mud

What does RHE stand for?

Here’s the first 2 that came up.

Inside pitches or outside pitches he doesn’t open up to hit them. No good hitter opens up.they all say they want to stay closed. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Here's where he starts his swing/launch...
Ejm5uIr.gif

....noted by the start of his rear hip starting forward, as it - through the rear obliques - starts "pulling" the rear arm downward....and begins turning the torso/upper half forward (or open), though the pulling on the front lower obliques by the subsequent turn of the lead hip they're attached to just like the rear ones.

"RHE" = Rear Hip Extension (not to be confused with "hip rotation").

Yeah, close to being closed at foot plant. I look at toe touch as being the launch position, although it can happen a little sooner or later.

With all this talk about RHE, I’m wondering if the pelvis just opens to facilitate the torso/core. And perhaps you don’t need to rotate the hips.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Here’s the first 2 that came up.

Inside pitches or outside pitches he doesn’t open up to hit them. No good hitter opens up.they all say they want to stay closed. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Looking at the second clip he sure opens up quickly at heel plant or when the front leg has weight against it.

His pelvis opens up almost completely with the hands/barrel still back creating bat lag (and no I’m not talking about bat lag the position). There is a good lag being created.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
Yeah, close to being closed at foot plant. I look at toe touch as being the launch position, although it can happen a little sooner or later.
Yes, that's correspond with the beginning RHE pretty closely - "a little sooner or later" - most of time. But because on OS stuff, sometimes hitters can end up like the Bonds on the right....
OaeEzpU.gif

where the toe touch happens quite a bit sooner than he begins to swing/launch the bat...but maintains his rear hip loaded, and doesn't actually begin the swing/launch until he starts it with the RHE in question.

But if you're only meaning that toe touch is a good checkpoint for the "launch" or "leveraged" position we speak of...then yes, that's as good of timing checkpoint as any for determining that particular position/moment in the swing.

With all this talk about RHE, I’m wondering if the pelvis just opens to facilitate the torso/core. And perhaps you don’t need to rotate the hips.
If the pelvis simply "opens to facilitate the torso/core" what actually powers the start the torso/core moving?

But if your speaking strictly wrt a teaching or instructional cue, then yes, that is completely acceptable, and many instructors/hitters have had success with the cue, "Slowly get the hips in the way of the swing, to then quickly get them out of the way it" (or some similar iteration of that).

Here's a quick clip of one of Mookie's swing from the second video you posted above, with a couple pauses that might hopefully give you a better idea of what I'm trying to get across....
PqjRDX6.gif

Watch the rear hip move forward linearly up to the first long pause....and the closely at what starts to happen when it starts again and the rear starts to turn, drive ("rotate") forward...to the torso/upper half, rear arm, hands, and bat/barrel. Then how as it continues forward pulling the torso/upper half, rear arm, and hands around towards the ball until the second long pauses where it stops completely....to allow the torso/upper half, rear arm, and hands....to whip or slingshot right on past it into the ball at contact.

That'll be it for now, catch you again sometime tomorrow. Cheers.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Looking at the second clip he sure opens up quickly at heel plant or when the front leg has weight against it.

His pelvis opens up almost completely with the hands/barrel still back creating bat lag (and no I’m not talking about bat lag the position). There is a good lag being created.

I don’t see it that way Shawn. His feet/stance are closed all the way through til finish.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Shawn hopefully now you see the difference between movement patterns..

One uses the rear leg/hip as the driver.. With this pattern folks attempt to ttb along with firing the rear leg..

OyFgaOG.gif

The other pattern becomes leveraged and then contracts the obliques against the both hips extending.. This pattern goes hand in hand with the swinging down to feel that is real..

wQHyOQ3.gif

Within the pattern sitting off-speed is natural progression.

vWC8dI9.gif

3wLHMQV.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
More clips of swinging "down to" while contracting against the hips extending..

k4xI3PF.gif

AYduaXK.gif

VyPOGHT.gif

qGt9sYo.gif

yWk4qXa.gif

KGlnerC.gif

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member