Mookie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Is Mookie using a style IYO? Perhaps a linear to rotation style?

I will post a swing tomorrow. In the swing (which I wish was more too it) the hips move sideways as he strides. He gets FYB in his swing.

Although the hip region moves sideways, he doesn’t shift the weight to far forward. The pelvis turns close to completely open with the hands still back.

Apr 11, 2015
Is Mookie using a style IYO? Perhaps a linear to rotation style?

I will post a swing tomorrow. In the swing (which I wish was more too it) the hips move sideways as he strides. He gets FYB in his swing.

Although the hip region moves sideways, he doesn’t shift the weight to far forward. The pelvis turns close to completely open with the hands still back.
Most all HL hitters are "linear to rotational ("RHE")", as well as "the hip region moves sideways, doesn’t shift the weight to far forward"....
4KGqpw4.gif

Check out how Barry's rear hip (lower half) moves forward "linearly" while his head (and upper half) remains "back" in the circle...and then when he begins the swing, he does so turning, driving ("rotating") the rear hip into "RHE" as it pulls on the rear lower obliques that are attached to it (at the iliac crest, and pubic tubercle), that as a result they (the obliques) pull the rest of the torso around (look at the creases in Barrys shirt, where do they start, and where do they go?), that eventually makes it way up the 5th-6th ribs under his rear arm pit, as he then, simultaneously using his arms/hands to direct the barrel into/toward the ball, behind the already now rapidly turning torso that was already set into motion earlier by the previously start "RHE", and is "whipping" past the now opened and stopped hips (watch the stripe under his belt loop stop into contact, and doesn't start forward again until the much later follow-throw)...as the barrel is subsequently "whipped" into contact.

Mookie does the same thing...as do most all other HL hitters.

Just one opinion/description of the sequence of the movements happening in the swing, I'm sure others will share some other different ones with you.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

You guys don't think he has a little more pelvis moving sideways?

This was a fastball, middle/in, line drive back up the middle in front of the center fielder.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
Different patterns (styles) can be confusing, but the underlying sequence is usually all the same.

Betts' pattern has a stride a little bit longer proportionally to his height compared to Bonds' (who thusly stays a little more upright/taller then Betts), and Mookie gains a little more distance than Barry with that stride, but all the while maintains the same "linearly" forward movement with the rear hip, and only when he begins to launch/swing with the start of his "RHE" with the rear leg, turning, driving, ("rotating") the rear hip forward, as it pulls on the rear lower obliques that are attached to it (at the iliac crest....and, so on, and so on....
SadPowerlessCub-size_restricted.gif

Again, watch his rear hip "pull" on the upper half (lower torso) to get it going, and then stop (stripe on his pants), as the upper half (torso, arms, hands...) and barrel get whipped right past it into the ball.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Do you mean his pelvis is closed? Because in the swing you posted he is making an adjustment on a breaking pitch.

yes. Mookies pelvis and stance are closed at launch. Doesn’t matter if it’s an adjustment or not. Most good hitters stayed closed. The feet set the direction of the swing. Not a back hip or a back leg.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802