monkey butt and quad dominance, Are they linked?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2019
California
I think a good example of quad dominance vs glute activation is how one squats. If a squat is performed (incorrectly) with the knees in front of the toes, the quads are being used and creates undesired stress in the knees. If a squat is performed with the lower leg remaining nearly vertical with the knees right over the ankles, similar to a sitting action (proper form), the glutes are activated. In a pitch, glute activation creates hip thrust whereas quad dominance leads to weak drive and form issues.
Here is a really good link on more quad dominance details: https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/drive-mechanics.18135/post-229943

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
I have seen the title of this thread for a while and thought “How could someone get Monkey Butt playing softball?” Apparently there is more than one type of monkey butt.
I was familiar with the type you get from doing a lot of dirt bike riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2015
Thank you. I'm still having a hard time picturing it but, I appreciate the reply. Obviously I know what all the words mean, and the body parts but, I'm not grasping the concept.

It can be hard to visualize. Here is a post Jryan15 made of the different thrust patterns that result from quad dominance vs. glute driven.

lEAgNw.gif

Basically, when the glutes are properly utilized, they propel the hips forward. When it is quad dominant, the hips kind of "pause", for lack of a better term, until they are in front of the drive leg.

Aug 21, 2008
It can be hard to visualize. Here is a post Jryan15 made of the different thrust patterns that result from quad dominance vs. glute driven.

lEAgNw.gif

Basically, when the glutes are properly utilized, they propel the hips forward. When it is quad dominant, the hips kind of "pause", for lack of a better term, until they are in front of the drive leg.

Which one is which then? I can see from this split screen there's a difference (one I think is good, one I would change instantly) but just so I'm on the right side of the pitching coaches, which one is which? And which one is good/bad the glutes or quad?

Mar 15, 2019
California
Which one is which then? I can see from this split screen there's a difference (one I think is good, one I would change instantly) but just so I'm on the right side of the pitching coaches, which one is which? And which one is good/bad the glutes or quad?
Girl on the left (on the rubber) is using glutes, girl on the right (in the grass) is using quads. Glutes are good, quads are bad.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
The term known as monkey butt or ninja move is primarily caused by two things.
Forward effort of the shoulder and an unstable hip.... Has very little to do with the quad

Apr 12, 2015

Left is good, right is bad.

As Abby mentioned, there are some techniques that can be adjusted to encourage a girl to use her glutes more, but in a true quad dominant athlete, there isn't really a whole lot that can be done outside literally months of specific and targeted physical therapy. At least I've never found anything that quickly and easily rewires the athlete's brain.

Mar 20, 2015
My 2 cents, monkey butt is a necessity if a player pitches with a pushing "hello elbow" shoulder domininated form otherwise they will hit their hip and injure themselves. Sometimes their arm circle improves over time and the monkey butt posture is a remnant that is no longer needed, however they have not taken the steps to eliminate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478