Monica Abbott illegal?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
Watching Monica Abbott on espn. It looks like she takes a step forward before the push off. Is she illegal? Anyone else see that?

Jul 26, 2010
I think international rules are the same as men's fastpitch, where only one foot has to be in contact with the rubber. It's different then college rules. I may be wrong though, anyone know for sure?

-W

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The World Cup is played under International Softball Federation (ISF) rules and they do have some different pitching requirements.

I would have loved to have seen some close-ups of Abbott's footwork. From the limited view I got, I would not say that she is definitely illegal. And, apparently, the umpires calling these games didn't think so either!

She starts by sliding her pivot foot sideways across the pitcher's plate, which is perfectly legal so long as contact is maintained. Then there is a slight forward movement of the pivot foot as she starts to deliver the pitch. It's that forward movement that seems to be drawing all the attention.

It is legal for the pivot foot to slide forward, so long as it maintains contact with the plate. That is, the foot can slide forward ON or OVER the plate, but it cannot slide forward completely OFF and in FRONT OF the plate.

ISF pitching rules specifically say that as the pivot foot slides forward, the umpires may make an allowance for the pitcher to "clear her cleats" on the rubber. It's kind of hard to slide forward and maintain contact with cleats. So, if the pivot foot marginally looses contact as part of this move, it is not illegal. This would be entirely different than the pitcher picking her foot up off the ground and replanting it.

Does Abbott get her pivot completely in front of the plate on some pitches? Maybe. Hard to tell from the shots I saw. But remember, so long as even the tiniest sliver of her heel is still on or over the plate, sliding the foot forward across the plate is perfectly legal.

pdj

May 7, 2008
Illegal - Monica does a mini walk through on every pitch. She used the same motion in college. Runner gets a 1-2 step lead while the pitcher gets a 6-10" extra step, and the youth instructor catches heck from parents when he tries to correct either!

Oct 18, 2009
I can see how umps let certain stars get away with certain things also. Imagine the balls an ump would have to have to stop a world cup game and call an illegal pitch on Abbott or Finch or someone like that.

Oct 19, 2009
I saw some games she pitched in college and was there the day she set the strikeout record, my daughter is a fan of hers. She was called for a number of IP that day and the opposition claimed every pitch she threw was illegal.

From what I see she does get a running start.

Apr 25, 2010
Well, I do know she got rung up on a couple illegals during her game against the Akron Racers. So, evidently, you aren't the only one who thinks so.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
BretMan, thank you for the level-headed response!

From what I saw in the championship game, it looked to me like she is illegal. I also know that she has been called numerous times for IP so I am leaning toward her still being illegal.

That being said; Either the rules need to be changed (which they won't for replanting or crowhopping), or umpires need to call it at ALL LEVELS!

No-one is above the law, not Monica Abbott, not Jennie Finch, NO-ONE.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
BretMan, thank you for the level-headed response!

From what I saw in the championship game, it looked to me like she is illegal. I also know that she has been called numerous times for IP so I am leaning toward her still being illegal.

That being said; Either the rules need to be changed (which they won't for replanting or crowhopping), or umpires need to call it at ALL LEVELS!

No-one is above the law, not Monica Abbott, not Jennie Finch, NO-ONE.

But look at the incentive we give them right now! "Keep playin and when ya get older, we'll let ya cheat!"

SNEAKYSOFTBALLPITCHING.COM

CT-TEXAS.COM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812