Modified vs Travel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2019
looking for some guidance.
My daughter is a 12 year old, a little above average pitcher and we need to decide between her middle school team or travel team. Both is too much with school but each has benefits. Not sure what would be better for her development.

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
What does she want to do?

Where are you from? Here in MN, unless your on a highly competitive travel ball team that plays year-round and out of the midwest there is very little overlap between our school ball seasons and travel ball in the summer.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
In our experience, 12U and 14U TB was a higher level of play and a higher level of coaching than anything we saw in MS. Every MS team we saw was a mix of new players, experienced rec players, and TB players. For a developing pitcher, however, the option with the most innings in the circle might be better choice.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

Where are you from? Here in MN, unless your on a highly competitive travel ball team that plays year-round and out of the midwest there is very little overlap between our school ball seasons and travel ball in the summer.

This varies a lot by area. In CA, school ball is in the spring, and runs concurrent with TB, which basically runs all year long (until you get to HS).

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
This varies a lot by area. In CA, school ball is in the spring, and runs concurrent with TB, which basically runs all year long (until you get to HS).

Yea that's why I asked, our school ball is in the spring too but TB start dates are scattered throughout early spring/summer based on age group since the girls that are in school ball can't start TB until the school season is over. Not sure if that's an actual rule or a courtesy to the school ball coaches. Can't imagine a HS Head Coach would be thrilled if a starting player got injured at a TB tournament over the weekend...

No year-round playing outside for us lol

Attachments

• IMG_20191212_154118.jpg
    IMG_20191212_154118.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yea that's why I asked, our school ball is in the spring too but TB start dates are scattered throughout early spring/summer based on age group since the girls that are in school ball can't start TB until the school season is over. Not sure if that's an actual rule or a courtesy to the school ball coaches. Can't imagine a HS Head Coach would be thrilled if a starting player got injured at a TB tournament over the weekend...

No year-round playing outside for us lol

In CA, you can't play HS and TB at the same time, but the rule doesn't apply to MS. I don't know how consistent that is across the country.

Dec 12, 2019

Thanks for the quick reply
She
I'm in the minority, but let her chose where she wants to play. You are only 12 once.
Hudson Valley NY
So MS ball and TB overlap in the Spring. She’s on the fence because she loves her TB teammates but feels tied to her school. It may be a game time decision. I just want what’s best for her. Both coaches are great so that’s why so tough. Maybe let her decide when the time comes.

Jun 8, 2016
So MS ball and TB overlap in the Spring. She’s on the fence because she loves her TB teammates but feels tied to her school. It may be a game time decision. I just want what’s best for her. Both coaches are great so that’s why so tough. Maybe let her decide when the time comes.
So the TB coach is making her choose? MS ball is in the Fall here and for the most part the TB coaches work around the schedule to the point where some won't schedule any tournaments until the season is over. This will come up with my DD's 12U team next Fall when some of the girls (maybe a bit more than 1/3 of the team) will be in 7th grade. HS ball is in the Fall too and it becomes an issue at that point because there are a decent amount of good showcase tournaments in nearby states which are early in the Fall.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee