Model Fielding ...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 27, 2015
Almost all of the picture links are dead. Pics need to be kept on this site or this thread deleted.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Question just came up about this and the crow hop, pro step or dive step. A search referred me back to this post but I can't view anything. New pictures hosted somewhere else?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Prep step/Auburn hop aside, look at the position of the glove during it. If I see one more MI stick their glove in front of them with the pocket facing the batter (or worse yet, on the ground), when they won't be able to move efficiently from that position (does anybody run like that?) I am going to scream.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
Prep step/Auburn hop aside, look at the position of the glove during it. If I see one more MI stick their glove in front of them with the pocket facing the batter (or worse yet, on the ground), when they won't be able to move efficiently from that position (does anybody run like that?) I am going to scream.
I remember in 10U coaches would yell “down and ready”. Players would get stationary and drop gloves to the ground lol. Loved to hit against these teams.

Footwork is key to being a good middle infielder. Got to learn to chop steps when approaching the ball for balance and timing the right-left step perfectly to be able to move through the ball and never stop. If you have players that freeze to field the ball they are not timing the right-left step properly. They are timing it early. If you have players that let a lot of balls go under their glove it is most likely a timing issue as well. They are late with the right-left step and glove never gets down in time to be out in front when the ball comes. This needs to be part of your “everyday” infield drills. Partners roll balls back and forth with a light pace from about 30ft. Player fielding chops steps, staying back, and works on timing the right-left step. Make sure they are working through the ball and working to the left to fake a throw to 1B. Incorporate all other teachers as they get proficient with timing the right-left step: field it out front, funnel then transfer, break thumbs down, good posture when working fake throw to 1B. Can also add getting into the right side of the ball when approaching the ball to keep momentum going to 1B.

May 21, 2018
You mean like this? Trying to break this habit, brought to us by a former Coach.

1647617925266.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802