MizzouSoftball's Ehren Earleywine Relieved of Coaching Duties

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Or quite possibly he is coaching at Mizzou where the athletic department and school leadership has already shown they will bow to the demands of student athletes. The kids on scholarship there have more power than seasoned coaches and administrators.

Possibly. Or maybe Mizzou are finally taking complaints seriously, investigating them properly and taking action in light of what has happened at far too many colleges in the past few years.

Maybe they are overacting. Or maybe they are acting too late. Maybe it is preventive action. We will probably never really know.

What I do know is the days of being able to cover things up and them not getting out is over. People are going to find out - the rumors that could be contained in the past are now public and national on Twitter and other social media platforms and if there is things to it, it will be uncovered.

Oct 2, 2015
Marriard, I agree with alot of what you are saying, as well as what the Facebook attachment says...

What what I'm hearing from HS, Travel Ball and Colleges Coaches is different. In many instances, it's the softy kids that are disillusioned with any discipline, or mad that they didn't get a starting spot on the team. So they will fix it by getting rid of the Coach.
Yes, in their mind the Coach was too hard on them for being too slow, not skilled enough, etc... But who is right? All a kid has to do is make a complaint, stating that, "IN THEIR EYES, the coach was too hard on me"...
They are saying there are so many kids in sports now that have had no discipline, or have had no "drive " instilled into them, that the first time they see or hear a Coach barking out orders in a manner or tone that is not to their liking, they get all "Emo" as my DDs call it.

Locally at the HS level as well as the Travel Ball level, there are Coaches that WANT to teach and Coach the way you suggest, but it's gotten so bad with the Play Date-Patty Cake Players, that they can hardly even teach/coach the way you suggest.
It's a no-win situation for the coach(s)
And yes the parents are the biggest problem, they ultimately taught their kids to be this way.

How many of these "Old School" coaches actually remain?
So are some Coaches getting meaner, or are some kids getting softer/more privileged?
It has to be one of the two....

Jul 3, 2013
Marriard, I agree with alot of what you are saying, as well as what the Facebook attachment says...

What what I'm hearing from HS, Travel Ball and Colleges Coaches is different. In many instances, it's the softy kids that are disillusioned with any discipline, or mad that they didn't get a starting spot on the team. So they will fix it by getting rid of the Coach.
Yes, in their mind the Coach was too hard on them for being too slow, not skilled enough, etc... But who is right? All a kid has to do is make a complaint, stating that, "IN THEIR EYES, the coach was too hard on me"...
They are saying there are so many kids in sports now that have had no discipline, or have had no "drive " instilled into them, that the first time they see or hear a Coach barking out orders in a manner or tone that is not to their liking, they get all "Emo" as my DDs call it.

Locally at the HS level as well as the Travel Ball level, there are Coaches that WANT to teach and Coach the way you suggest, but it's gotten so bad with the Play Date-Patty Cake Players, that they can hardly even teach/coach the way you suggest.
It's a no-win situation for the coach(s)
And yes the parents are the biggest problem, they ultimately taught their kids to be this way.

So are some Coaches getting meaner, or are some kids getting softer/more privileged?
It has to be one of the two....

3rd option- Coaches that demean and bully players as part of their 'coaching' style are no longer being tolerated by players, parents, and administrators.

Oct 2, 2015
OK, I'll give...I think it's probably a little of 2 and 3. :D
SOME kids are softer...
Bullying no longer tolerated...

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
OK, I'll give...I think it's probably a little of 2 and 3. :D
SOME kids are softer...
Bullying no longer tolerated...

Totally agree that there is more than one reason. There were always soft kids or privileged kids or whatever. Is there more? Perhaps - Maybe they stay longer in a sport because more parents are way more involved and invested than in the past.

Honestly - lots and lots and lots and there are more being created. Many come into coaching with the myth of the the 'tough' coach stereotype as the model to use. Or just as we talk about elsewhere on skills coaching - they coach as they were coached. So for many it is learned behavior that needs to be changed and if there is no one to change them.. well they are just going to coach as they were. All you have to do is watch a season of Friday Night Tykes to see how they coach 10U football and listen to where they learned to coach and how they justify it. Or listen to coaches talking about the 'good old days' where they were never questioned about how they went about things.

One of the reasons I love forums like this is because I learn so, so much. It is my nature to research when I am involved in anything. The idea that someone coaches a sport and doesn't research the latest information on the sport and how to coach that sport and how best to work with the players they are working with is totally foreign to me. A lot of these coaches NEVER change and then want to blame the players or parents when they have done nothing to change since they started coaching.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2015
Totally agree that there is more than one reason. There were always soft kids or privileged kids or whatever. Is there more? Perhaps - Maybe they stay longer in a sport because more parents are way more involved and invested than in the past.

Honestly - lots and lots and lots and there are more being created. Many come into coaching with the myth of the the 'tough' coach stereotype as the model to use. Or just as we talk about elsewhere on skills coaching - they coach as they were coached. So for many it is learned behavior that needs to be changed and if there is no one to change them.. well they are just going to coach as they were. All you have to do is watch a season of Friday Night Tykes to see how they coach 10U football and listen to where they learned to coach and how they justify it. Or listen to coaches talking about the 'good old days' where they were never questioned about how they went about things.

One of the reasons I love forums like this is because I learn so, so much. It is my nature to research when I am involved in anything. The idea that someone coaches a sport and doesn't research the latest information on the sport and how to coach that sport and how best to work with the players they are working with is totally foreign to me. A lot of these coaches NEVER change and then want to blame the players or parents when they have done nothing to change since they started coaching.

You and I are in total agreement on "Old Coaches not learning new tricks" so to speak...especially in regards to hitting techniques!

Jan 31, 2011
This discussion is very interesting to me as a coach. I started to write a long reply. But here is the litmus test. Do you treat your players like subordinates at work? (yes/no) If you treated co-workers the way you treat your players, would you be fired immediately? (yes/no). Forget about soft kids, you can deal with that. It just takes time and consistency. Parents have always been crazy & drama has always surrounded youth athletics.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee