Mitt Replacement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 4, 2012
Catcher DD wants to buy a new glove and break it in before her current one wears out. She wanted the same glove, the All Star Vela Pro CMW3000 (tan and black) but they have discontinued it and replaced it with the All Star Pro CMW3000, dropping Vela from the name. It also has no black on it and the price came down.

Has anyone used this new version? If so, do you know if it is comparable to the discontinued version?

If not, what glove would compare in quality, weight, etc.?

Thanks

Oct 8, 2020
Hi there!

My name is Jo, and I work in the Fastpitch Division at All-Star Sporting Goods. I would be happy to provide some additional information about our catcher's mitts.

We currently have 3 catcher's mitts: AF Series 31.5", AF Series 33.5", AF-Elite Series 33.5". As you have alluded to, the AF-Elite Series 33.5" (SKU#CMW3001), which is offered in two color ways (saddle/cream or black/white) replaced our Vela Pro (SKU#CMW3000).

There are no differences between the two mitts other than color way. We received extremely positive feedback after we initially brought the Vela Pro with the single hinge design to market. When it was time to update the product lines, we went forward with selecting the Vela Pro as our single top-of-the-line mitt, and we brought it back to the market in two updated color ways.

I hope this information helps. If you have any additional questions, please let me know as I would be happy to help!

Respectfully,
Johanna

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Hi there!

My name is Jo, and I work in the Fastpitch Division at All-Star Sporting Goods. I would be happy to provide some additional information about our catcher's mitts.

We currently have 3 catcher's mitts: AF Series 31.5", AF Series 33.5", AF-Elite Series 33.5". As you have alluded to, the AF-Elite Series 33.5" (SKU#CMW3001), which is offered in two color ways (saddle/cream or black/white) replaced our Vela Pro (SKU#CMW3000).

There are no differences between the two mitts other than color way. We received extremely positive feedback after we initially brought the Vela Pro with the single hinge design to market. When it was time to update the product lines, we went forward with selecting the Vela Pro as our single top-of-the-line mitt, and we brought it back to the market in two updated color ways.

I hope this information helps. If you have any additional questions, please let me know as I would be happy to help!

Respectfully,
Johanna
Thanks for coming on here and clarifying. I know from personal experience that trying to figure out which All Star glove/mitt was the one we wanted was not a simple task there for awhile. The research and asking questions (not to mention some input on here from others especially AnnasDad) paid off. My DD's have been using an All Star System Seven glove in the circle and an AF-Elite mitt behind the dish and they both love the product.

May 6, 2015
We were pretty much in exact position, DD had the CMW3000 in black/tan, she wanted exact same replacement (CMW3000 has a good bit of life left in it, but it took a while to break in, so we wanted replacment well before something happened to CMW3000). we bought a CMW3001 (all tan this time, her choice), breaking in going OK, probably not game ready for first spring tournament, but well on its way. there really is no difference I could see or she can feel other than color.

once she is comfortable with CMW3001 for games, CMW3000 will go out for relacing to be used as backup. with any luck (she is a 2007 player), she might not need a new mitt until after HS (if she is still playing high level ball then).

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Hi there!

Respectfully,
Johanna
I’ve advocated the CMW3000 here for probably over 5 years, it’s a fantastic mitt! Mine has literally been beat to death and it still has quite a bit of life left in it!

Thanks for putting out a quality product! I could pick, or make a couple of improving suggestions, but that’s for another day!

I could also recommend a certain size / pattern fielders glove that I guarantee would be a high selling, instant success! But that’s for another day as well.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020
You're welcome; I'm happy to do it!

Product names and lines are constantly changing, and it's hard to figure out what features have changed and what upgrades have been made, so I sympathize with you there.

I am glad to hear that your daughters have been using both our catcher's mitt and fielder's gloves, and that they think so highly of them! If you need any additional help or have any other questions, I'd be more than happy to chat.

Thanks for coming on here and clarifying. I know from personal experience that trying to figure out which All Star glove/mitt was the one we wanted was not a simple task there for awhile. The research and asking questions (not to mention some input on here from others especially AnnasDad) paid off. My DD's have been using an All Star System Seven glove in the circle and an AF-Elite mitt behind the dish and they both love the product.

Oct 8, 2020
Thank you for being such a huge advocate and supporter of All-Star. Seriously, we appreciate it!

Feel free to direct message me with your feedback; I'd love to hear it and I can certainly take it to our product team. As a family-owned company, we truly strive to make a high-quality, durable and safe products. We're always looking for thoughts and feedback from our customers, so my inbox is always open if you want to share!

I’ve advocated the CMW3000 here for probably over 5 years, it’s a fantastic mitt! Mine has literally been beat to death and still have quite a bit of life left in it!

Thanks for putting out a quality product! I could pick, or make a couple of improving suggestions, but that’s for another day!

I could also recommend a certain size / pattern fielders glove that I guarantee would be a high selling, instant success! But that’s for another day as well.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Thank you for being such a huge advocate and supporter of All-Star. Seriously, we appreciate it!

Feel free to direct message me with your feedback; I'd love to hear it and I can certainly take it to our product team. As a family-owned company, we truly strive to make a high-quality, durable and safe products. We're always looking for thoughts and feedback from our customers, so my inbox is always open if you want to share!
PM sent!

Oct 9, 2020
Quick question, My dd currently has a Mizuno prospect(black and white)glove that I purchased at Dicks for $55 about 2-3 years ago. It is on its last legs, very floppy etc... I am thinking it is time to move on to the next her next glove. DD is going to be 10 in march, she pitches if not pitching plays mostly 1st(has a 1st base mitt) and at times other positions in pool play/3rd, outfield etc...So basically a sweet all around glove...... I wanted to see if there were any good sales or recommendations that anyone had. DD is 5'0 100lbs, so not small for her age really, just not sure what to pull the trigger on...

May 6, 2015
Quick question, My dd currently has a Mizuno prospect(black and white)glove that I purchased at Dicks for $55 about 2-3 years ago. It is on its last legs, very floppy etc... I am thinking it is time to move on to the next her next glove. DD is going to be 10 in march, she pitches if not pitching plays mostly 1st(has a 1st base mitt) and at times other positions in pool play/3rd, outfield etc...So basically a sweet all around glove...... I wanted to see if there were any good sales or recommendations that anyone had. DD is 5'0 100lbs, so not small for her age really, just not sure what to pull the trigger on...
at her age, I would not worry too much about getting her something extremely high end (ie long lasting). get something that will not require tremendous break in (as well as not breaking bank). in another couple of years, then I would start looking at higher end more position specific gloves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802