Missouri/Missouri State

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
Missouri and Missouri State's softball teams likely won't be playing each other anytime soon.

Following an open records request made by the University of Missouri, a series of heated emails between Missouri coach Ehren Earleywine and longtime Missouri State coach Holly Hesse have been revealed.

It all started on April 23 when Missouri handed Missouri State a 6-0 shut out loss. The next day, director of operations Lisa Simmons reached out to Hesse about scheduling a game in 2016. Two weeks later, Hesse dismissed the possibility of any future games between the schools and listed three reasons as to why, including an allegation of recruiting violations. She added that a lack of mutual respect made it impossible for the series to continue. The next week, Earleywine sent a response that included the entire Missouri State staff on his note.

The response included colorful language we cannot reprint, such as calling the opposing coach a word synonymous with equine waste.

Once Missouri fulfilled the records request, media relations official Chad Moller released a statement on Earleywine's behalf.

"I am sincerely sorry for the unprofessional comments I made," Earleywine said in the statement, via ESPNW. "I understand that is not the right way to represent the University of Missouri, and serving as a role model and a positive example for our students is very important. I apologize to Coach Hesse, the Missouri State softball program and our fans for the way I reacted and know this was not the proper way to handle the situation."

Missouri State later released a statement on Hesse's behalf.

"I regret that an email exchange in which I was involved has created negative attention for our university and our program," Hesse said in the statement. "As a mentor and leader of young women, I understand how my comments were interpreted as disrespectful, and I am a strong advocate of respecting one's opponents and the sport of softball at all levels. I accept coach Earleywine's apology for his part of the exchange, and I hope that we can move past this incident as professionals and colleagues."

Missouri athletic director Mark Rhoades has since contacted Missouri State athletic director Kyle Moats. Neither administration claimed to be aware of the email exchange until the open records request.

Missouri, Missouri State softball exchange heated, NSFW emails | MLB | Sporting News

First series of emails
http://espn.go.com/pdf/2015/0529/espnw_mizzouemails_1.pdf

Earlywine Response
http://espn.go.com/pdf/2015/0529/espnw_mizzouemails_2.pdf

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
that is a pretty unprofessional response. I do think her reasons for not playing them are flimsy, but there are plenty of ways to get his point across without actually getting low brow. Being able to craft a cutting email without putting anything in that puts in a meeting with HR is kind of a necessary leadership skill these days.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Self control not an art. It's a science...and it takes practice. Sometimes when we are in a place of authority, it requires us to not say what we are thinking. And that applies to both parties here.

dontemailangry.JPG

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Earlywhine has the rep for being a hothead. Ive seen him tossed more than all other coaches combined.

Gossip is he treats just about everyone this way-including his players. been a lot of quality players transfer out of MU in recent years.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It appears that my 10yo DD has a better understanding of how to use capital letters than Coach E. ;)

Mar 26, 2013
Self control not an art. It's a science...and it takes practice. Sometimes when we are in a place of authority, it requires us to not say what we are thinking. And that applies to both parties here.
I agree. More than enough time had elapsed before both coaches' emails for them to calm down. Holly sent hers 20 days after the game and Earleywine replied 7-1/2 days after saying "Oh i got this one."

I was surprised to see Holly's been at MSU for 27 years - seems like she should know better.

Earlywine's response was sent at 7:58 PM - maybe he had a few drinks before/while writing it.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I agree. More than enough time had elapsed before both coaches' emails for them to calm down. Holly sent hers 20 days after the game and Earleywine replied 7-1/2 days after saying "Oh i got this one."

I was surprised to see Holly's been at MSU for 27 years - seems like she should know better.

Earlywine's response was sent at 7:58 PM - maybe he had a few drinks before/while writing it.

And dragging Coach Guttin's name in the mix was pretty poor form as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802