Missed this: Monica Abbott sets new speed record (77mph)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
From her blog:

June 16, 2012 - Monica sets new speed Record!

It was just a normal NPF game Saturday night June 16, 2012 the day before Fathers Day in North Carolina. The Chicago Bandits were playing the Carolina Diamonds at their home field in Kannapolis, North Carolina. It was the third game of a four game series. The series was tied at one game a piece. In this game the Bandits were ahead 6-3 when Monica got the call to take the mound in relief. It was the bottom of the sixth inning.

Monica had pitched the previous game on Friday giving the Bandits their first win in the series. In this game the Bandits had jumped out to an early lead and Bandits' pitcher Nicki Nemitz was keeping the Diamonds under control. Monica was not really expecting to go into the game but she is always prepped and ready. In the bottom of the sixth inning the Diamonds staged a potential comeback. The Diamonds scored a run and had two runners on the bases. So Monica got the call when the tying run came to the plate. Of course Monica shut the Diamonds down and saved the game. The Bandits won the game to take the series lead, two games to one. But that's not the rest of the news to paraphrase a well known radio personality.

It was the bottom of the sixth, two outs, two runners on the bases and the tying run batting the count was 0-1. Monica was facing Angeline Quiocho for the Diamonds. For whatever reason Monica chose to throw a low version of her signature rise-ball. And what a pitch it was, perfection. The crowd was in awe another strike then the speed on the big board flashed 77 mph. 77 mph a new personal record for Monica! A new record for Women's Fastpitch.

This new record clearly puts Monica in the books as the fastest USA and possibly the world's woman softball pitcher currently playing. While there is no one source like a women's softball almanac, web searches generally relate the old record as 75 miles per hour.

For those of you that need a comparison, in Baseball where pitching is sixty feet to match Monica's accomplishment the baseball pitcher would be throwing at 107.5 miles per hour. Unfortunately, the fastest baseball pitching record according to "Baseball Almanac" is held by Nolan Ryan at 100.9 miles per hour in a game on August 20, 1974. Although currently in the MLB there are reports of 100-104 miles per hour pitches; Monica's statement has been.......pitched.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Well if we aren't going to accept the scoreboard MPH of pitchers who throw 101, 102, 103... then why should we accept the scoreboard that showed 77?

And its not to match the pitcher, the correct comparison would be if a hitter hit the 77 MPH pitch you would say she matched the reaction time of a baseball batter who hit a 107.5 MPH pitch. The speeds the pitchers throw are really incomparable.

Jun 7, 2012
All I have to say is that I saw Abbott in person at the stadium (the Bandits play at the Ballpark at Rosemont, and believe it or not, that's my team's home field too! Gotta throw out a Big Thanks to Mayor Brad Stephens of Rosemont for making that happen), and I knew she was big, but WOW!

I got a chance to talk with her pitching coach (who actually coached her in high school in California and came out her with her post-college to coach the Bandits), and he was joking about his fears of a kid hitting a ball to one of his defenders in high school (we were talking about "weak links"), even with having Abbott on the mound.

That blew my mind because I was just grateful having a kid who could toss 60-62 consistent as my #1 and hoping my collective team defense could average 88% success.

It's gratifying to know that all levels share the same fears/concerns from time-to-time.

And back to the thread, kudos to M. Abbott on continuing to be a beast on the mound.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You guys must not tweet and facebook. News of this speed went out immediately and then, it said something about bat speed only being 72.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I don't tweet, but I do enjoy Facebook, I must have missed it with all the ladies posting and commenting about "Magic Mike". That consumed most of my timeline!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse