Miss St. Kentucky blown call. How can you miss that???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
I always preface "ump" discussions by saying there are some really good ones out there. Of course, there are some really bad ones as well and some that just shouldn't ever ump again like these goofballs.

How do you miss the runner not in the running lane? How do you miss the obstruction on the throw from the runner at first because of it? The runner from 3rd should be out because of it. Mississippi State coaches were not happy but far more composed than I would have been.

Come on Man!!!????:mad:

[video=youtube_share;LvVepZErJS4]http://youtu.be/LvVepZErJS4[/video]

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This is from the 2017 NCAA Rule book:

12.19.1.5 The batter-runner may not interfere with a play at home plate
in an attempt to prevent an obvious out at home plate.
EFFECT—The ball is dead. The batter-runner and the base runner at
home plate are both out. Each other base runner must return to the
last base occupied at the time of the pitch.​

So, yes, the runner trying to score should have been out. The play at the plate would not have been close.

Jun 2, 2015
What chaps my rear about this is that the SEC will not discipline the umpire who screwed the pooch on this call. I can't speak for other leagues as my daughter plays in the SEC. From all of the series that I have attended, I am amazed at how horrible the umpring is in the SEC and how much these guys really do suck. The the strike zone fluctuates from pitch to pitch and individual umpires definitely have favorite players and/or coaches that they tend to to give favorable calls to. I would like to see softball start to utilize something like a K Zone type device to call balls and strikes and have the homeplate umpire back there to just make calls on foul balls, etc. though I have no doubt that they would srew that up. I have yet to see an umpire that is worth a crap in the SEC from all the games that I have seen. Most have an ego bigger than the State of Texas and refuse to admit that they suck even when they get the call wrong. in this particular instance, all 3 umpires huddled up after Vann went out to question the call and they still got it wrong. All umpires suck and ruin the game. How hard is it to call balls and strikes? A monkey could do it but these morons tend to get it wrong 99% of the time.

Mar 28, 2016
She was out be 10 feet and just kept running right at the 1st baseman. Brutal call. I could even see an ejection on a play like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee