Minimum Innings in order for a pitcher to progress

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
137 innings for the year or season? If it's for the year then my DD's TB innings are right in line with yours.

That's just the spring. She didn't pitch too much in the previous fall season, maybe a dozen innings. Another reason not to fret too much about circle time in October.

Sep 3, 2015
Have her throw change ups in league play. She’ll give up some hits, but in the long run it’ll be great for her. Gives the fielders something to do too.

I think she’s getting enough innings to develop since you’ve got her with a PC and you’re practicing with her in her own. I’m not one that buys the “needs as many innings as possible in order to develop” that you hear so often from other pitchers parents. Most her development comes from practice. Innings are to put it to use and keep her motivated. Sounds like you’ve got her in a good place.

In regards to another post, I like healthy competition between players. It can help motivate both kids. Where it becomes an issue is with parents or if one of the kids has a bad attitude. DD progressed far more on teams she was the #2. She’s roommates now with the girl who was #1 on her old 14U team so there doesn’t have to be animosity.
I respectfully disagree, a pitcher needs as many innings as possible in the circle during games to get better. I don't mean pitch the kid into the ground but for every 3 games you should be pitching about 1. If that's not happening I don't believe it's the best situation.

There is no substitute for game situations, it's how you get better. Of course all of this needs to be done at the 10-12U level, I believe it provides a great foundation not only how to get batters out, but it helps with demeanor and presence. I strongly believe that experience is key. DD started out at a lower level and made her way up to a top level PGF team and without that experience I don't think she would be the pitcher she is today.

DD has close to 60 innings in about 20 games so far this fall (16U). I would prefer less innings these days.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2013
I respectfully disagree, a pitcher needs as many innings as possible in the circle during games to get better. I don't mean pitch the kid into the ground but for every 3 games you should be pitching about 1. If that's not happening I don't believe it's the best situation.

There is no substitute for game situations, it's how you get better. Of course all of this needs to be done at the 10-12U level, I believe it provides a great foundation not only how to get batters out, but it helps with demeanor and presence. I strongly believe that experience is key. DD started out at a lower level and made her way up to a top level PGF team and without that experience I don't think she would be the pitcher she is today.

DD has close to 60 innings in about 20 games so far this fall (16U). I would prefer less innings these days.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

DD didn’t pitch a single inning first year of 10U. Worked hard in the off season and began second year as #1.

First year of 12U she was out for 6 months with an injury. 2nd year of 12’s back to #1.

Began 14U as the #3 pitcher. Was used sparingly at first. Worked her butt off and earned more innings. All the improvement and 90% of her development came from practicing.

At 18U she played for one of the top 10 teams in the country. She started out as #4 and was to be used as an emergency arm. She worked hard with her PC and on her own and was soon their go-to pitcher. Again, the improvement came from practicing while seeing few innings in games.

Merely pitching in a game does little to improve. You get better in practice and then show it off in games. IME girls grow far more competing for innings on a higher level team than being #1 on a lower team.

I do agree that 1/3 of the games is a good amount. Usually when I hear a parent say their kid needs as many innings as possible they’re trying to get 90% of the innings and shut the other pitchers out from getting an opportunity to show they deserve it more.

I think DD had roughly 200 innings in about 60 games. Similiar ratio to yours. I wouldn’t say she was overworked, but she was definitely ready for a long break.

Oct 29, 2019
DD didn’t pitch a single inning first year of 10U. Worked hard in the off season and began second year as #1.

First year of 12U she was out for 6 months with an injury. 2nd year of 12’s back to #1.

Began 14U as the #3 pitcher. Was used sparingly at first. Worked her butt off and earned more innings. All the improvement and 90% of her development came from practicing.

At 18U she played for one of the top 10 teams in the country. She started out as #4 and was to be used as an emergency arm. She worked hard with her PC and on her own and was soon their go-to pitcher. Again, the improvement came from practicing while seeing few innings in games.

Merely pitching in a game does little to improve. You get better in practice and then show it off in games. IME girls grow far more competing for innings on a higher level team than being #1 on a lower team.

I do agree that 1/3 of the games is a good amount. Usually when I hear a parent say their kid needs as many innings as possible they’re trying to get 90% of the innings and shut the other pitchers out from getting an opportunity to show they deserve it more.

I think DD had roughly 200 innings in about 60 games. Similiar ratio to yours. I wouldn’t say she was overworked, but she was definitely ready for a long break.

Sounds like there are many paths to success but all of them require time spent with a Pitching coach, a dad on a bucket, and a love for pitching.

For awhile my daughter struggled to pitch as well in games as she did in practice do to nerves. Lately she seems to have overcome that. This is probably where game time innings help her the most.

My Daughter is playing 12U A ball and for the most part having success against batters when she is pitching. This probably means my money and time are well spent and if we keep at it the innings will come.

This thread has put my mind at ease a bit. Thanks all.

Jan 28, 2017
IMO, every situation is different. DD is 13 now.

At 10 she played on a little below average Class B team. Got one start a weekend and sometimes a few more innings. Getting to pitch was good. Innings not as important as pitching to make her keep working.

At 11 she played on a very good Class B team. Normally two starts and a few innings. Played more games each tournament. Time on the mound was important.

At 12 she played Class A ball. Probably pitched to much at times. I kept her down to make sure she had the ball in big games. It wasn't about innings but making sure she had to compete and have pressure. Not sure this is correct but what I believe.

At 13 playing Class A ball but we are mostly 13 and probably a Class B team. We tried to make sure her team had enough pitching so she doesn't throw as much. Has had some injury issues.

Oct 4, 2018
IMO, every situation is different. DD is 13 now.

At 10 she played on a little below average Class B team. Got one start a weekend and sometimes a few more innings. Getting to pitch was good. Innings not as important as pitching to make her keep working.

At 11 she played on a very good Class B team. Normally two starts and a few innings. Played more games each tournament. Time on the mound was important.

At 12 she played Class A ball. Probably pitched to much at times. I kept her down to make sure she had the ball in big games. It wasn't about innings but making sure she had to compete and have pressure. Not sure this is correct but what I believe.

At 13 playing Class A ball but we are mostly 13 and probably a Class B team. We tried to make sure her team had enough pitching so she doesn't throw as much. Has had some injury issues.

Different team each year? That go ok?

Oct 4, 2018
1st two same team. My DD was the only kid able to stay down and we stayed down. Last two years the same new team. No problems. I'm a little weird but DD is a good kid.

Hah!

My DD probably needs to switch teams to progress. We're both hesitant. :(

Jan 28, 2017
Hah!

My DD probably needs to switch teams to progress. We're both hesitant. :(

She was the new kid with the second team and daddy wasn't coaching for the 1st time, socially it was different for her but a growing experience. She has been the one or two pitcher since joining. The other kid is good and they are very different in style.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My DD was a successful D1 pitcher. When she was pitching, classifications between A, B, C, Gold and Platinum didn't exist.

12YOA: PItched 2 or 3 games a week on a 12U low level travel team.
13YOA: PItched about 2 games a week on a mid-level 16U team. This was more or less a waste of time. My DD needed more game time to develop, but the coach wanted a fully developed 16U pitcher.
14YOA: Pitched 5 or 6 games a week on a mid-level 16U team.
15YOA: Pitched 5 or 6 games a week on a mid-level 18U team.
16YOA; Pitched 4 to 5 games a week on a top-flight 16U team.
17YOA & 18YOA: Pitched 4 to 5 games a week on a top flight 18U team.

Generally, her 13YOA and 14YOA years were probably the most important as to learning how to pitch during a game.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom