Middle School

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2019
In our county, MS runs the same time as HS ball and games are only on Sundays. Each MS if they can usually has 3 teams and would be rated as A B and C. "A" team would play in the top tier, B second and C last. The tiers were based on how you thought you would do so in theory you have your 8th grade teams as top tier, 7th and then 6th. But the teams were set by the coaches so if you were a good 6th grader you could still play on the A team. Or if you were not as good if you were an 8th grader you might play on the C team.
If you plan to play in HS, it's a good opportunity to see who your teammates would be and who you'll be playing against as you move up. And at least our program played on the HS fields so that was fun for the girls.

But we do have some players on HS that didn't play MS so it doesn't necessarily matter.
The past couple of years we've actually had the MS program work alongside our HS program with the coaches so they are getting exposure that way. Not sure how other schools do it but we've been trying to really get more involved with Rec, then MS and up to HS.
Here in FL, we have an almost transfer like system. Students can attend any high school they want, with a few caveats.

The new school must have room, parents must provide transportation and the student must not be under an expulsion or suspension order.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019
Is it important for players to play MS ball, especially if they have a goal of playing or trying out for the HS in the future? I know I personally never played MS ball, just played in HS.
For most school districts in our state, whether she plays MS ball or not won't really have much of an impact on what happens during HS ball. Of course, there will be some exceptions. That being said, if the MS and HS coaches are in close communication, DDs experience during those MS years could be impactful for those things that might not be immediately obvious during HS tryouts. If your DD keeps working and progressing as I've seen her over the years, I'm pretty confident she won't have any issues making and playing for whichever local HS she attends.

From what I've seen around here, most MS teams are not very strong top to bottom. There's pretty good odds that the MS coach will seek out students such as your DD who are experienced ball players, whether or not they have expressed a desire to tryout...which could be hard to say "no" to. While there are some frustrations, there are also some real growth opportunities playing for a team that struggles a bit. There could also be some opportunities for game experience during MS ball that might not present themselves during TB (for example, many girls who are secondary infielders on their TB teams are starting infielders for their school teams).

Things are a little different for us over here since my DD attends a rural K-8 school that feeds directly into the local high schools. We start having team sports in 3rd grade and if you're any kind of an athlete it's pretty much a given that you'll participate in whatever sport season that happens to be going on (softball, basketball, track, cross country, whatever...). Sometimes opportunities present themselves for playing with some older age groups (my DD and another 5th grade girl played for the 7th/8th grade softball team this fall, for example). Fortunately, DDs school is one that can consistently field a competitive team and our coaches are generally pretty good. I think that other's experiences may vary.

Personally, I'd encourage her to tryout for the MS team and see what that is like. The MS season is over very quickly so if it's a bad experience, she won't have to power through it for very long and she can make a different decision next year.

Oct 2, 2017
For most school districts in our state, whether she plays MS ball or not won't really have much of an impact on what happens during HS ball. Of course, there will be some exceptions. That being said, if the MS and HS coaches are in close communication, DDs experience during those MS years could be impactful for those things that might not be immediately obvious during HS tryouts. If your DD keeps working and progressing as I've seen her over the years, I'm pretty confident she won't have any issues making and playing for whichever local HS she attends.

From what I've seen around here, most MS teams are not very strong top to bottom. There's pretty good odds that the MS coach will seek out students such as your DD who are experienced ball players, whether or not they have expressed a desire to tryout...which could be hard to say "no" to. While there are some frustrations, there are also some real growth opportunities playing for a team that struggles a bit. There could also be some opportunities for game experience during MS ball that might not present themselves during TB (for example, many girls who are secondary infielders on their TB teams are starting infielders for their school teams).

Things are a little different for us over here since my DD attends a rural K-8 school that feeds directly into the local high schools. We start having team sports in 3rd grade and if you're any kind of an athlete it's pretty much a given that you'll participate in whatever sport season that happens to be going on (softball, basketball, track, cross country, whatever...). Sometimes opportunities present themselves for playing with some older age groups (my DD and another 5th grade girl played for the 7th/8th grade softball team this fall, for example). Fortunately, DDs school is one that can consistently field a competitive team and our coaches are generally pretty good. I think that other's experiences may vary.

Personally, I'd encourage her to tryout for the MS team and see what that is like. The MS season is over very quickly so if it's a bad experience, she won't have to power through it for very long and she can make a different decision next year.
Thanks for that response. Very helpful.

Apr 20, 2015
Definitely depends on your district. Softball is THE most popular sport for girls in our district and everyone wants to play so it’s expected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 19, 2021
Our district MS ball is a step below rec ball. It and the other MS sports are basically extended PE/daycare. The high schools here really dont care.

Oct 4, 2018
You need to ask some parents of HS and MS girls a few questions.

At our HS, it's important to play MS just to get your name out there. The MS and HS coaches communicate a lot and the MS coach teaches the game and plays of the HS. So the bunt defenses are the same, etc. etc. Yes, if you're a stud you can skip MS and make the HS team easily, but lots of people (parents, coaches, other players) will think you some elitist if you skipped MS ball. You'll start with 1 or 2 strikes and not be considered a team player.

Oct 2, 2017
You need to ask some parents of HS and MS girls a few questions.

At our HS, it's important to play MS just to get your name out there. The MS and HS coaches communicate a lot and the MS coach teaches the game and plays of the HS. So the bunt defenses are the same, etc. etc. Yes, if you're a stud you can skip MS and make the HS team easily, but lots of people (parents, coaches, other players) will think you some elitist if you skipped MS ball. You'll start with 1 or 2 strikes and not be considered a team player.
I agree, and plan on doing that.

Oct 4, 2018
Definitely depends on your district. Softball is THE most popular sport for girls in our district and everyone wants to play so it’s expected

Where is this wonderful place? :p

Softball is big at our HS, but other HS in our district can barely field a team. Some of our games are really good contests, others are ridiculous blowouts.

Apr 20, 2015
We live in new Palestine Indiana. Softball is the king of girls sports here.

Feb 7, 2014
As others have pointed out this is an extremely regional question. Some states offer it and some states don't. I've lived in both and in the long run I don't see it affecting where you end up. I think in Kentucky (a mostly rural state) 6th graders if capable can play high school softball... pretty sure by 7th grade Montana Fouts was pitching for her high school.

From my perspective so much can change from middle to high school to college... enjoy the journey!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478