Middle infield glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2019
Pump the brakes, hold the presses, THIS!!! I'm very tempted myself!! $50 over budget but who cares!

Those discounted Small Batches are an incredible deal, but they're NOT this Spring Training NP5!!

Do you have a bot search engine that goes out to every glove website to scan what's for sale each day and flags you when any Rawlings HOH or better is discounted greater than $20? I can't believe how fast you find these deals!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Do you have a bot search engine that goes out to every glove website to scan what's for sale each day and flags you when any Rawlings HOH or better is discounted greater than $20? I can't believe how fast you find these deals!
I can't reveal my secrets Lemond! :rolleyes: Nah, I just have a job that affords me some search time and TONS of saved favorites! And honestly I have no idea why I checked Closeout Bats, I borderline hate that site!! I've probably bought 6 or 8 gloves over the years from Cheap Bats, and I like their site, but I've never been able to deal with Closeout before, and I've tried!

Nov 15, 2019
I can't figure out how to post a poll in a thread, but it looks like my choices come down to:

Easton small batch
All-Star FGS7
Or check with Drakemir about a Vinci

I'd definitely be interested in a Rawlings as well, but not sure about the NP5??

Anyone want to weigh in on your top choice out of those 3? The small batch seems like a fabulous deal so that's what I'm leaning towards....

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019
Without the folks on this forum (recent and way back history), I would still be in the aisle at DSG asking them to steam my glove (please don't!). There is as much to learn as you have time, and I am still in the early stages.

As far as breaking in, watch the Wilson Aso videos. I like his method for breaking in, minus the water.
I definitely knew not to steam from reading previous posts here. Her travel coaches told her to steam it, so I'm glad I found this board!

I'll check out that video, thanks!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I can't figure out how to post a poll in a thread, but it looks like my choices come down to:

Easton small batch
All-Star FGS7

I'd definitely be interested in a Rawlings as well, but not sure about the NP5??

Anyone want to weigh in on your top choice out of those 3? The small batch seems like a fabulous deal so that's what I'm leaning towards....
NP5..............without a doubt! But take that with a grain of salt, I'm a huge "NP" fan, my favorite pattern / model! All of those listed are great gloves, you can't go wrong!

Jan 8, 2019

Easton small batch
All-Star FGS7

I would start by contacting @Drakemir so you know what options he may have to even consider. We were ready to buy a Vinci from him, and BTW he was great to deal with and very helpful, but in our sports-limited geographic area we could not find one to try on. At the same time, we had nice Rawlings drop in front of us, so we switched directions.

I've also never used an ESB, but have heard they were very nice, and at 50% off... I was VERY tempted to blow off my DS's choice of a mod-trap glove to get one of these, and would still like to find a good reason to get one.

As for the NP, I've always loved Rawlings, and as I said before, I have learned a lot from AD and several others on this site and on another forum, and have not seen anything but good about the NPs.

Any one of these options will get you a glove that should last well into/through HS for your DD, especially if it is more of a secondary glove. And, after typing that, I'm thinking that as a secondary glove, for myself, I would probably try to beef up the primary glove budget over the secondary. So, if catching is solidly in DD's future, I would probably lean away from the NP unless you are good with expanding the total budget. Sorry, AD!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I would start by contacting @Drakemir so you know what options he may have to even consider. We were ready to buy a Vinci from him, and BTW he was great to deal with and very helpful, but in our sports-limited geographic area we could not find one to try on. At the same time, we had nice Rawlings drop in front of us, so we switched directions.

I've also never used an ESB, but have heard they were very nice, and at 50% off... I was VERY tempted to blow off my DS's choice of a mod-trap glove to get one of these, and would still like to find a good reason to get one.

As for the NP, I've always loved Rawlings, and as I said before, I have learned a lot from AD and several others on this site and on another forum, and have not seen anything but good about the NPs.

Any one of these options will get you a glove that should last well into/through HS for your DD, especially if it is more of a secondary glove. And, after typing that, I'm thinking that as a secondary glove, for myself, I would probably try to beef up the primary glove budget over the secondary. So, if catching is solidly in DD's future, I would probably lean away from the NP unless you are good with expanding the total budget. Sorry, AD!
We've been exchanging PM's, I've put her on a Rawlings Pro206-6JTB from the Rawlings outlet in Myrtle Beach, I told her to PM @pattar & @OsDad, both of those guys bought one after I got back from the outlet this Summer. At $160.00, it's a great middle infield Heart of the Hide that's $100 off MSRP. Hopefully those two can chime in and give their opinions.

Nov 15, 2019

Mod trap glove - are those the gloves that have the lacing in the webbing (Sorry, not sure if that terminology makes sense)?. What are the advantage to those?

I really don't know if catching is solidly in her future. It came about rather suddenly. We were talking to her future high school coach and asked how his team was looking this year and he mentioned that they've really struggled behind the plate the last few years. Got home and started thinking about it and I asked DD if she'd ever thought about catching. She said she'd be interested in learning. Ironically the next day the HS coach texted me and asked if DD would be interested in learning to catch. So here we are! She's just been catching for 6 to 8 weeks but seems to have a natural talent for it and really enjoys the physical challenge of it.

May 28, 2014
I have an RCV125 floating around (white and pink; basket web kip leather) that is a great price ... and I might have a 12" custom optimus that might be willing to part with also.... (Black, Grey laces, I web) ...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101