Mid or high top cleats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2019
My DD is wanting either mid or high top cleats because she fears of breaking ankle again. Any advice on some that you like. She plays 3rd and 1st base. Also pros and cons on metal cleats. Thanks

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My DD wore mids for a while (C and 1B), but she has since gone back to lows. Her current preferred brand is New Balance, but has also worn Nikes.

Metal cleats give better traction on the field, but WAY worse traction in the bathroom.

Jul 31, 2015
My DD has always worn lows, but mids/highs should be fine if your DD is more comfortable in them. The only issue I've ever seen was a velcro strap around the ankle that wouldn't stay shut. The player was constantly having to bend down to slap it shut. It would also come loose and fly out when she ran the bases. That was in 10U. Probably poor shoe design more than anything.

Most players make the switch to spikes at 14U. Way better traction. Terrible sound on the pavement. :eek:

Oct 1, 2014
USA
My DD wore mids for a while (C and 1B), but she has since gone back to lows. Her current preferred brand is New Balance, but has also worn Nikes.

Metal cleats give better traction on the field, but WAY worse traction in the bathroom.
Pretty much the same as Eric in our house...my DD's both wore Mid's for awhile (C& 3B and P & CF) but went back to lows. Preferred brand for the last few years has been New Balance but they've worn several others. Traction in bathrooms, halls and on sidewalks is compromised to say the least. ;-)

Jun 19, 2016
Metal spikes are pretty much the norm for 14U+ when they become legal. My daughter is 12U but she has a pair of metal spikes for when she picks up in 14U. For whatever reason, she loves the sound of spikes on concrete.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45