Mevo Start vs Hero 9

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2020
Trying to decide which camera will be the best camera to purchase to record+stream my kids games. Both are nearly identical price wise so wondering if I could get some help in making the decision

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
GoPro records great... streaming is horrible. They only allow the ultra wide view (too wide, includes fence in the shot, and pushes the action way back). Mevo streams well but the recording is so so; mostly because of the limited resolution of the Mevo Start.

I talk about this in a bit more detail here:

Feb 7, 2016
I've had multiple versions of the GoPro camera. I'd highly recommend Mevo. Once you have it set up, you can be up and live streaming within a couple of clicks. Mevo seems to be more heat tolerant than the GoPro cameras as well. For me, the Mevo is also more user friendly.

Jul 14, 2018
My Mevo has mostly replaced my GoPro, because it can stream and record simultaneously and creates one file per game, so I can just upload to YouTube and format the card.

This weekend, however, I had spotty 5G service and the stream shut down in the middle of each game. What I didn’t expect was that the stream ending also ended the recording to the card.

Does anyone know of a setting to override that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 17, 2020
Huntley, IL
My only advice is this. I have done recording with GoPro and live stream with Mevo. If your going to live stream and expect to pull that video to create highlights, that is NOT going to work. When you live stream, the vide will glitch regardless of how good your wireless connection is. When your trying to clip out plays, your looking for 2 to 3 seconds and I have lost a lot of great plays due to the wireless glitch at the wrong second.

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
GoPro records great... streaming is horrible. They only allow the ultra wide view (too wide, includes fence in the shot, and pushes the action way back). Mevo streams well but the recording is so so; mostly because of the limited resolution of the Mevo Start.

I talk about this in a bit more detail here:

Thanks Josh!

Professional & informative.

Chris

Sep 12, 2021
On mevo, it will automatically back up the stream but like you said if stream glitches then recording is messed up. What you need to do is set it to stream , and also click the sd card icon separately which is on left in same menu, this tells mevo to record to sd card separate. You can then set that to the full 1080p even if stream needs to be lower for stability.

Sep 24, 2020
I used a GoPro Hero 9 all of the 2020 season, and recorded on a 4K setting. I would then upload that video to Youtube the next day. For the most part, it worked great, but did have a occasional overheat on the GoPro and it would shut off.

I used a Mevo Start Multi Cam this past weekend at our first fall tournament, and was really pleased on how easy it was to set up and use. The stream will glitch some, but I did save the original footage from each camera onto the camera's SD card. It is limited to 1080p, so the quality is not as good as the GoPro.

Moving forward, I think I am sticking with the Mevo.

Oct 9, 2019
What about recording and showing athletes in slow motion? Is this possible with the mevo or go pro in the apps? Quick turn around? Other options? I’m currently using my phone and iPad with Hudl Technique but the app is no longer available so I’m researching different options, but also interested in streaming a recording.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28