Mevo Alternative

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
Smartphone does a pretty good job on the cheap. Generally it is your data source, which helps reduce a middle man piece of hardware. This is only for streaming of course. For recording, the GoPro is the best option, and for streaming/recording, the Mevo Plus is your best option. I'm still not a fan of the Mevo Start as the resolution is too small and has a fixed field of view. And on the Mevo Plus, unless you need ethernet or USB (for USB hotspot) interfaces, I wouldn't use the boost. The extra battery isn't enough to get you through a day, which requires external power. Externally powering the Boost creates a heat issue.

We are currently experimenting with using external HDMI to a streaming device with the GoPro HERO9 (using the media mod). Too soon to tell at this point, but pretty good video.
Parent on our team is an engineer and therefore a techie and he uses a Garmin Virb and swears by it. You have any experience with it?

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Parent on our team is an engineer and therefore a techie and he uses a Garmin Virb and swears by it. You have any experience with it?
We have heard from a few customers that have used it. No complaints but we've only had experience with the recording (which is on par or slightly less than the GoPro HERO 8). The only complaint I am aware of with streaming is that it required Apple. I don't believe it works on Android.

Jul 14, 2018
On the cheap:

I use a Campark X30 to record games, it’s around $70 on Amazon and has a great picture. It can go up to 60 fps @ 4K, which makes enormous files so I usually drop it to 30 fps so that my computer can handle editing. If you’re a pitcher’s parent, the 4K lets you zoom in on the pitcher when you’re recording from the backstop, which pitching coaches love. It breaks the footage into 12 minute segments.

For streaming, I picked up a GoPro Hero 4 on eBay for $40. This lets me stream using LIVE4. Not the greatest quality, but the smaller resolution makes the stream work a little better IME.

I’ve requested a Mevo for Christmas...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Here is a screen shot of a hero 5 downloaded to an Ipad. Video is pretty clear and is recorded at 1080p and 60fps. I can get 16 hours on my sd card (256gb)

Attachments

• 212974E0-E2CC-4DBE-9870-8471136933E4.jpeg
    212974E0-E2CC-4DBE-9870-8471136933E4.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 37

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Anyone know the difference between all the go pros?

Suggestions on GoPros:
Look at HERO5, 8, or 9 ("Black" models)
HERO6 and 7 had/have known issues (7 might be usable in some cases)
Don't look at plain "Hero" cameras as they have fixed ultra wide field of view (FOV)
None live stream well as they stream at only ultra wide FOV.
Hero5 is a solid camera that is the best bang for buck
Hero8 is a good alternative to the newest camera in effort to save a little cost
Hero9 is still in our testing phase, but is a great camera with few known issues.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28