Mevo Alternative

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2016
I see lots of parents streaming with Mevos but at $400 that is kind of pricey. Is there a cheaper alternative?

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I GoPro all of our games but I just record them. We do have a dad that uses his GoPro 4 or 5 and does FB live to stream. looks pretty good from what I can tell. Im on the field so I dont watch it per se but I see the games later sometimes. Here is a snip of the video.
Screenshot 2020-11-25 122945.png

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I bought my Mevo Plus with the Boost battery for sub-$300 on eBay. It was in like-new condition. I sold the Boost the same week.

Sep 25, 2016
My advice to you is just bite the bullet and get the Mevo.
As you can see from the picture, I have wasted lots of money trying to get streaming right.

The first camera on the left (LG Action LTE) was my first camera. I used it the first two years. Recording works fairly well, but it could not stream and record at the same time. When I chose to stream and the cell signal was bad, you had no backup file.

The middle camera (GoPro Hero 7 Black) was my second attempt. It is the worst of the three pictured. Video quality is great, but in the hot summer, it just stops working. No warning. It also breaks up the files into 3-4 files that have to be put back together.

The camera on the right is the DJI Osmo Action. This camera would place second to the Mevo (IMHO). The quality is great, the files are broken up into 3-4 files and have to be edited together. It takes the heat better than the GoPro, but still can have some heat issues.
Running without a internal battery using an external battery helps with heat though.

Finally purchased the Mevo mid summer this year. You get one file, not 3 or 4. Quality is great and no heat issues.
It streams well and records at the same time with no issues.

I do Not work for Mevo, don't get paid to promote Mevo.

Just a poor dad that the learned the hard way that you get what you pay for..

Attachments

• IMG_20201125_140902.jpg
    IMG_20201125_140902.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
Jun 19, 2016
My advice to you is just bite the bullet and get the Mevo.
As you can see from the picture, I have wasted lots of money trying to get streaming right.

The first camera on the left (LG Action LTE) was my first camera. I used it the first two years. Recording works fairly well, but it could not stream and record at the same time. When I chose to stream and the cell signal was bad, you had no backup file.

The middle camera (GoPro Hero 7 Black) was my second attempt. It is the worst of the three pictured. Video quality is great, but in the hot summer, it just stops working. No warning. It also breaks up the files into 3-4 files that have to be put back together.

The camera on the right is the DJI Osmo Action. This camera would place second to the Mevo (IMHO). The quality is great, the files are broken up into 3-4 files and have to be edited together. It takes the heat better than the GoPro, but still can have some heat issues.
Running without a internal battery using an external battery helps with heat though.

Finally purchased the Mevo mid summer this year. You get one file, not 3 or 4. Quality is great and no heat issues.
It streams well and records at the same time with no issues.

I do Not work for Mevo, don't get paid to promote Mevo.

Just a poor dad that the learned the hard way that you get what you pay for..
Which mevo do you have? I would love to pair it with a pocket radar smart coach but I think you have to use a phone.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Smartphone does a pretty good job on the cheap. Generally it is your data source, which helps reduce a middle man piece of hardware. This is only for streaming of course. For recording, the GoPro is the best option, and for streaming/recording, the Mevo Plus is your best option. I'm still not a fan of the Mevo Start as the resolution is too small and has a fixed field of view. And on the Mevo Plus, unless you need ethernet or USB (for USB hotspot) interfaces, I wouldn't use the boost. The extra battery isn't enough to get you through a day, which requires external power. Externally powering the Boost creates a heat issue.

We are currently experimenting with using external HDMI to a streaming device with the GoPro HERO9 (using the media mod). Too soon to tell at this point, but pretty good video.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
You can occasionally get a remanufactured Mevo Plus for the cost of a Start
Agreed. BH, in my opinion, is the most reputable place to get one. And they are always $299 ($100 less than the Start...which I simply can't understand).

Jun 19, 2016
I guess I really don't need to live stream. I am really not sure who would watch at this point anyway. I just would like good video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28