Metrics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2020
These look a little high for Jr. High School.

Attachments

• 2016_ODM_Averages.pdf
    393.8 KB · Views: 98
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
These look a little high for Jr. High School.
These charts are always unrepresentative nonsense.

I've been timing 20-yard dash for every HS girl who tries out for us since 2017. I've never had one player -- not one -- who meets the "average" times listed here.

It is true we do not have a lot of high-level, college-bound athletes. But that just makes us more representative of reality, not less.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
These charts are always unrepresentative nonsense.

I've been timing 20-yard dash for every HS girl who tries out for us since 2017. I've never had one player -- not one -- who meets the "average" times listed here.

It is true we do not have a lot of high-level, college-bound athletes. But that just makes us more representative of reality, not less.
To compare do you have numbers to post?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
The only statistically significant difference between middle schoolers and juniors is grip strength? Ok…
What are the sample sizes and population types? It might be that only “stud” (quotes just in case “you know who” is reading) MS players are doing it compared to a much broader range of HS talent..🤷🏽‍♂️

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
To compare do you have numbers to post?

I don't have all of it anymore, but I do have a couple years.

In 2020, the average of 25 girls was 3.66 (25 players, each were timed three times. Not consecutively. We would run two girls at one time, they'd go to the end, and run again once it got to their turn). Of course, the fastest girl I've ever had at the HS level wasn't there that day.

The fastest average time I have for a single girl in a single year is 3.29. And this is running on a gym floor indoors.

I believe in 2021 I changed things up and didn't do a straight sprint, but had them hit a ball and timed from contact, so the times were a slower. I have some incomplete data on a spreadsheet and I can't remember why.

I'm not doubting that girls can run as fast (or faster) than the times posted. My girls are not fast. But I do find it hard to believe that our very fastest is still quite a bit below average for all HS softball players.

Edit: I'm sure the ODM stuff is more accurate than ours, but one year I used video and compared times via stopwatch and actual time from point A to B on the video and it actually was pretty close overall.

Dec 19, 2021
I would say keep in mind that your average player in Jr. High is not going to an ODM camp.
This. MS players only got to those camps if they are well ahead of the curve. So you are seeing results from the top 1% or less from that age group.

When DD showed up at HS she was already the fastest player on the team at about 2.9 so she was probably close to that is MS. She dropped about a tenth (60ft) since then to get below 2.8. But even the "slow" players on our HS team are below 3.1.

There are some pretty slow kids in MS, though.

Dec 6, 2019
This. MS players only got to those camps if they are well ahead of the curve. So you are seeing results from the top 1% or less from that age group.

When DD showed up at HS she was already the fastest player on the team at about 2.9 so she was probably close to that is MS. She dropped about a tenth (60ft) since then to get below 2.8. But even the "slow" players on our HS team are below 3.1.

There are some pretty slow kids in MS, though.
What's the timing mechanism? I've got one daughter who has always been the fastest player on every team she's ever been on (club sports, school sports, track team). She can't break 3 seconds on a laser timer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee